Weekend Highlights

On Friday, we went up to my sister-in-law's family cabin. I don't know if it's a ranch or a cabin or a lodge---I was explaining to Mishkin, who came with us, that back home, there are cottages and there are camps and there are cabins. Cabins are for skiing. Camps are for hunting. Cottages are vacation homes at the lake. Miskin says that here, cabins don't have a lot of land, whereas ranches have land. I don't know what the definition of a lodge is. I don't know if s-i-l's edifice qualifies as a ranch---it has lots of land, but no cows. But it has horses. Anyway.

We were discussing this as we were driving out. We left Provo after 8:00 and s-i-l's directions to get there were perfect. I was worried that with my terrible navigating abilities, I'd get us lost. We were doing great until the directions (as dictated by s-i-l and transcribed by The Boy) said, "Weber Canyon Road... dirt roadities." Now, The Boy added the "-ities" onto "dirt road" for humor purposes, but as he's going 60 miles per hour in a 45 zone with no lights and curvy, twisting roads, and we have no idea how "Weber Canyon Road" is related to "dirt road," and I was trying to search the completely black and invisible surroundings for a dirt road, it was funny. In fact, it was aggravating every time I looked down at the paper, searching for some inspiration. Dirt roadities. I was sitting there, as we were turning around and retracing our route, only to find that we couldn't even find where we had come from, wondering if Mishkin had silently given up all hope of ever making it out to the cabin/lodge/ranch. We had no cell reception and no way to contact anyone who might be able to help us. Finally, we found a house that had lights on and asked for help. They offered us their phone and we tried to call the cabin/lodge/ranch number, but it was disconnected. The obliging couple then gave us sketchy directions that eventually did lead us to the dirt road (apparently Weber County Road turns into the dirt road). On the dirt road, we came across Brother 1 and s-i-l, who had come out to try and look for us.

After what seemed like an eternity on the dirt roadity in the dark (suddenly "dirt roadities" wasn't so obnoxious) we made it to the edifice-of-an-unknown-specification. The stars were amazing---it was hard to actually see constellations because so many smaller stars appeared.

After talking for a while with everyone (s-i-l, The Boy, Brother 1, and Mishkin) we all went to bed. There was limited bedspace, so The Boy and I had to share a bed. It's okay, though, because it was a king bed, so I hardly even knew he was there. Imagine my surprise, though, when I woke up not with The Boy at my side but with Brother 2! (My mom tells me that that's gross to even say because it all sounds so incestuous.) Brother 2 had arrived at 2:00 in the morning.

We didn't actually have much time on Saturday for ranchy activities since we had to get back in time for The Boy to go to a work meeting at 3:00 (which meant we had to leave at 1:00). But we had time enough for me and Mishkin to go exploring (which means that we walked on this uneven stones and I almost twisted my ankle beside a river, and we walked through a field that was being watered by sprinklers and we didn't even have the guts to run through the sprinklers) and time for a short horseback ride. This was better than my horseback ride from last year which scared me almost enough to never want to get on a horse again. This time, s-i-l didn't make me gallop or trot or anything. Phew!

We drove back into town and as if Mishkin and I hadn't already spent enough time together, we decided to go to DI and Target. I didn't find anything particularly exciting at either store. Later, Nemesis and I went to see Fantastic 4. It wasn't the best movie I've seen all year, but it was at the dollar theater and I didn't even pay Nemesis back, so I can't complain.

Then, not only did Nemesis pay for my movie, but she dropped off goods at my house---kitchenwares that I can babysit while she's in England---including a big ole' glass jar for punch that I've been coveting ever since I saw it at her swap meet.

And that's the weekend update.

Oh wait! One last gem from the weekend. When I asked The Boy if he was packed, he said," Cicada, we're only going till tomorrow at three. I don't need to pack anything."

Me: Uhhh... what about a toothbrush?

Boy: We're going to be back home at three tomorrow. I don't need a toothbrush.

Me: Boy, that's a night and a morning!

Boy: I'll live.

Me: But what about the rest of us who have to be around you??

He brought the toothbrush. Now, whether he used it or not, we don't know. And any of my former roommates/companions will read this story and think me a hypocrite because they know that I rarely brush my teeth or take off my makeup at night but to miss a morning! It's unthinkable!

3 comments:

Nemesis said...

Cicada isn't mentioning the part where I got the movie fare out of her by luring her to Wal-Mart and using her as a pack mule. She had to follow me around while I rambled through the store buying groceries and toilet paper and umbrellas and watches and what-all else. She was very patient, and she'll never get that hour of her life back.

daltongirl said...

I think you should take the day off work due to that almost-twisted-ankle. You can't be too careful with those things. It could lead to a lifelong injury if it isn't cared for properly from the beginning.

Also, I think it would be safe to call your s-i-l's place a ranch. I grew up on a ranch, which was actually 3/4 acre of land with a corral, in which we kept sheep and goats. We also had some chickens and a rabbit. All of our animals were possessed by the devil, but that's a story for another time. Anyway, this 3/4 acre was attached to a real ranch, where they raised horses and stuff. They had a big ol' barn and one of those mechanical horse walker things. I think our house used to be the rustler's cottage or something. So I grew up on a ranch.

Cicada said...

I don't know what an acre is. For some reason, I haven't been able to grasp that concept my entire life. I know that my s-i-l's place (I asked and they call it a cabin) has 30 acres of land but I basically have no clue what that means.