The Skinny on Being Fat

That's the title of one of the articles that I have to write. Basically it's about women who are unhappy with their weight and yet refuse to do anything about it. Like me. I like chocolate so I eat chocolate. I sit at a desk all day long, and though I have a gym pass, I don't seem to use it. I find excuses---like the fact that the podiatrist told me not to exercise. Weak excuse, I know. The doctor tells you not to exercise? Well, the doctor also told me to take these pills twice a day until they were all gone, too, but I still have half the bottle left. Now I keep them on hand because they're great pain killers. But I really took the no exercise thing to heart.

I went shopping with Mishkin yesterday. I know he'll hate me to even mention it, but he's been working out and he's bulked up some this summer (I won't go into the details of his pecs or his biceps or anything like that...). So the shopping experience---which was supposed to be focused on him anyway---was definitely focused on him. I'm at my top weight ever. I don't fit into any of the clothes that I have and I certainly don't want to buy fatter clothes (I did... and then I outgrew them...) Mishkin on the other hand looked fantastic in everything I made him try on (well, almost everything... I maintain that no man looks good in a bikini, but it was still fun to see him wear one*).

So I need to start doing better about eating and exercising. And I need to write The Skinny on Being Fat because I think it'll be really funny. The thing is, I had no idea that school starts this next Monday. Don't get me wrong---I'm really excited, like I am any time I've taken a break from school. But now I'm wondering what happened to all the articles and the novel and the poetry I was supposed to write this summer. And what the heck happened to my waistline this summer? Okay. So the year in retrospecticus wasn't all that great for me, I suppose. I gained 25 pounds. I didn't put all the really great ideas I've had into writing. But I did win awards for two articles.

Hmm. Anyway. Goals for the year: Get thin. Write articles and win/earn money. Buy new clothes with the money.

*Mishkin never actually tried on a bikini and I never actually encouraged him to do so.

7 comments:

Cooper said...

The summer goes too quickly. And thank you for not including details about Mishkin's muscles.

daltongirl said...

I had a boyfriend once who used to say, when I complained about being fat, "Well then, why don't you DO something about it?" Sometimes he would add that he didn't have a problem with my fat, but he got tired of me complaining about it and then sitting around eating chocolate. I guess he had a point, but all I really wanted was to be told I was still attractive, even though I looked like a cow to myself.

Not sure where that was going. I just thought of it. Maybe it could be worked in to your article or something. Feel free to take poetic license.

Also, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this, but Pilates will change your life. I've only been doing it seriously for a week now, and already I FEEL slim, which is much better than actually LOOKING slim, because then you don't have to feel guilty about all that chocolate you're eating. How's that for logic?

Cicada said...

Hmm. Maybe I will try the Pilates thing. I'm also going to try the go-to-the-gym-every-day thing because I have the pass! I may as well, really.

Th. said...

Careful, Cicada. Exercise is bad for you. Everyone knows that. Just some people are in denial.

I'm impressed by your awards. I had been confused by the Pulitzers a couple months ago, but now I realize it was you and not some insect they gave the community interest award to.

Mary said...

Oh, wow. I love Pilates. The only form of exercise I can actually, consistently do. Maybe it's because I used to dance as a kid, and it's the only form of exercise that's like dance with sit ups. And it's so true about the 'FEELING' slim thing, seriously. It's so true.

Like it's so true.

FoxyJ said...

Yeah, I've been about 30 pounds overweight for a long, long time now and I really don't care enough to do anything about. I decided a while ago that I like to eat too much to diet, so I don't. I've been trying to eat "healthier" and occasionally I go for walks, but it's not very consistent. I just don't complain about being fat anymore, because even though I don't like it, I'm not willing to do what it takes to change.

Red said...

I noticed just walking for 30min a day helped me lose some weight. I haven't been hugely overweight but enough that I noticed. Just try going for a walk at least 30 min a day and see if that doesn't help. If nothing else you'll feel better (30-40 min of daily exercise is actually equal to taking prozac)