My Brain Feels Funny

I was up till 3:00 last night. Man. That means that if I wanted eight hour of sleep, I'd have had to have slept till eleven this morning. But it's ten o'clock and I've been at work since nine. My body woke up at 7:30, so here I am, but my brain feels heavy. Either I got smarter from all the culture I absorbed over the past couple of days, or I should have stayed in bed this morning.

I left on Monday to go to Cedar City with Nemesis, Streets of Belfast, Nemesis's mom and Kitty for the Shakepearean Festival. It was so. much. fun. On Monday we watched Stones in His Pockets. I feel like I should post some analysis, comment, summary, or reaction. But I can't because my brain feels funny. Comment: It was good.

On Tuesday we watched Camelot. Some lady didn't turn her cell phone off. It rang. People were annoyed. She still did not turn it off so it rang again. There was a mumble throughout the audience. Then it rang again and there was a louder mumble through the audience and some person yelled, "Turn it off!" The lady finally walked out and then came back in a little later. Later, it rang again, but the action on stage drowned out most of the ringing. After intermission, there came another reminder to turn the cell phones off. The audience errupted in applause. Then, someone else's phone rang during the second half of the play.

And so it was that as people were coming out of the play, half of them were talking about the play and half were talking about cell phones. I started to tell a story about a time when I accidentally left my cell phone on, and didn't know that it was my phone when it was ringing... but then I realized that if people overheard me, they might think that I was talking about that night's performance! So I started talking a little more quietly.

Other highlights:

We were going into an Irish pub/sandwich place, and it was mentioned that sometimes cast members eat there, and you know that it's someone from a play because others start pointing at the person. We thought that it would be really funny to the four of our group to enter the pub and for me to come in about five minutes later. Then they could all point at me as I sauntered about. Then one of them could ask me for my autograph. Then one could ask if please, oh please! could they have a picture with me? Then we could see if any other people asked me for autographs and pictures.

But we didn't do that.

One other odd highlight was the costuming seminar. We went and a costume director explained how they made different costumes. There was one elderly woman sitting on the front row, and---I'm just going to say it because it was true!---it sounded like she was having an orgasm. As the director would explain certain things, she'd gasp, "Oh! Oooooooohhhhh!" As he'd reveal costumes, she'd shout out, "Yes! YES! YES!" I mean, I certianly enjoyed the seminar. But not nearly as much as she did.

Anyway. All in all, it was an excellent trip. Now I'm going to give my poor brain a rest and get back to work.

12 comments:

Th. said...

I envy you for knowing how to get back to work.

Cooper said...

I never mind it when someone's cell phone goes off. All of us forget from time to time. However, the SECOND phone that rings should be confiscated, tortured mercilessly, and beaten with a ball-peen hammer. When a phone rings in a place that it should not, that should remind EVERYONE to turn theirs off. Whoever's phone rings AFTER the first's reminder should be forced to watch the torturing/beating festivities.

daltongirl said...

When Sean entered a Napoleon Dynamite look-alike contest, there was this seriously ancient old guy walking around telling everyone he was Lyle, posing for photos and signing autographs. Then at the end, when it was time for the Lyle look-alikes to go up, he went up and apologized for tricking everyone. Then he laughed and laughed.

Cicada said...

Yeah, well, I don't agree with the "forgetting" thing, really. Not in a freaking theatre. Forget in church. Forget at school. But don't forget in live theatre. Actually, right before Stones in His Pockets, they played a series of really annoying cell phone rings and it made everyone laugh and reminded everyone to turn off the cell phones, because hey---those rings were really obnoxious.

Cicada said...

DG---Brother 3 doesn't shave or cut his hair. He also loves his guitar. He's the one who travels around the US installing antrax detectors in the post offices. Well, when he was in California, people would see him with the long hair, the beard, the head band and the guitar and they'd go up to him and ask for his autograph. He'd shake his head and say, "I'm no one famous."

Nemesis said...

Seriously, there were at least SEVEN different cell phone rings during the performance, beginning with one from Phantom of the friggin Opera. I have really never been in a place where it was so horrendously bad. If I had suddenly found a machine gun under my chair, I probably would have used it. We need to get ushers with tasers or something.

Also, most of the people in the audience were old, so their ringers were REALLY loud.

Streets of Belfast said...

I am fond of the type of torture that includes a million serious paper cuts all over one's body and then a long dunking in the Great Salt Lake.

Also I love your new pic.

daltongirl said...

Was that AMTRAX detectors, or ANTHRAX detectors? Because why would anyone in a post office need to detect a train?

daltongirl said...

As you can see, I'm avoiding the cell phone conversation like the plague. Mine went off in La Boheme, last year and I still haven't recovered from the shame.

Cicada said...

Last year, my mom and I went to La Traviata in the Kennedy Center (Washington, DC---not BYU) but we didn't have time to eat before getting there so we were starving. So we snuck Snickers bars into the theater and started eating Snickers once it started. There were some people who were really unhappy with us. Shame, shame, shame.

Desmama said...

I usually turn mine onto silent. The last time we went to the theater in downtown Houston (a few weeks ago), I checked it during act two. The baby sitter had called, which freaked me out. Then she tried my husband's phone, which was also on silent. I have no idea what the second act was about because I was sure my child was dead. As soon as it ended, I called home and the sitter informed me I had forgotten to show her where the diapers were and TexTot had a doozy of a diaper. She had taken care of things in the meantime, but still . . . Anyway, point of story? I'm glad the phone was on silent, and I'm super glad my child didn't die.

Cicada said...

When I checked my phone at intermission, I had received four text messages, all of which said, "Please call me when you're finished. I need to talk to you." They were from an unknown number. I was a little freaked out. So I called the number during intermission and found out that the messages were from a coworker who had not locked her phone and had been sitting on it.