Try the Anus

Tonight I went to an Italian restaurant in Park City with my family. Conversation turned to Italian pronunciation rules. Specifically, I let them all know what the difference between penne (penne pasta) and pene (penis) is. Then, I let everyone know the difference between anno (year) and ano (anus).

Almost immediately after my Italian lesson, our waiter---who informed us it was his first day---came to explain the menu.

"The special this evening is grilled ano," he said.

The entire table burst out laughing. Poor waiter---he had no idea why. No one even caught what the rest of the specials were. I kept my nose in my menu as I convulsed and as tears welled up in my eyes. I was just wondering what grilled anus tasted like. Calimari, anyone?


Note for those who, like Puckish Mitya, might lose sleep over why the waiter was offering "grilled year": He was actually offering grilled ono, a type of fish. Only he pronounced it like I had pronounced ano when explaining the word to my family.

2 comments:

daltongirl said...

Just when I think you've already told the funniest story you could possibly tell . . .

Anonymous said...

"excuse me waiter, this food smells like butt...."