Free Collagen Implants!

My new house has a mosquito problem. I subjected poor Nemesis and Brother 2 to an evening in my apartment last night. I felt bad for the following reasons:
  1. My house gets hotter inside than it is outside. In the late afternoon, I will set up fans to blow in the cooler air from outside, but in the evenings, I have to close everything up on account of there's mosquitos and bugs and stuff.
  2. I don't have a TV yet (still waiting for Brother 4 to move in...) and all I have that plays movies is a little laptop without external speakers. This means that we need to turn off all fans in the house so that we can actually hear the dialogue (and we don't want to miss a word of what Horatio Hornblower is saying!).
  3. The mosquitos found their way in anyway. So they attacked us during the movie. We couldn't see them because it was dark.
  4. Brother 2 was disappointed to find out that we were actually roasting our marshmallows (for s'mores) over the open flames of my gas range stove. When he saw me straightening wire hangers, he thought that I was working on some cool art project, not getting our marshmallow roasters ready.
  5. All our marshmallows caught fire.
  6. My freezer wasn't even up to the task of fully freezing our ice cubes. (My landlord has been uncharacteristically absent when it comes to responding to my demands for a new freezer/fridge combo.)

We took an intermission during the movie to get drinks and to kill mosquitos. Nemesis showed her mad skillz at killing them with the Ensign and I held my own with a broom.

Shortly after Nemesis and Brother 2 left, I went to bed. I found a screen for my bedroom window and put it in. That was exciting. I figured that I'd be able to sleep with the window open and the fan in the window and not have to worry about mosquitos so much.

Every time I woke up during the night, I had a 15-minute scratch session before falling asleep again. I think that most of the bites are from the past few days, and not necessarily last night, though there were a few new ones. I knew how to out-wit those mosquitos, though. I put the sheet over my entire body, leaving only a hole of about three square inches for my mouth and nose.

When I was in the shower this morning, I noticed that my bottom lip felt hotter than normal. It felt fatter than normal. It felt number than normal. When I looked in the mirror after getting out of the shower, I looked like a lop-sided Angelina Jolie. Ack! I have a mosquito bite on my lip. So much for me being smarter than the mosquitos.

**But since I'm a Canadian from Canada, I shouldn't be complaining about mosquitos because the mosquitos in Canada are larger, nastier and more plentiful.

8 comments:

Justin said...

Owl-Ma!
How do I add links to the blogs of ones-loved on the side of my blog?
Love,
Ralph

Nemesis said...

I should tell you all, though, being in Cicada's very cute apartment was totally worth the heat and the killins. That girl has style.

Only everyone knows that the Alaskan mosquitos are biggest. Hello . . .

Cicada said...

PM---It's much easier for me to show you. When are you down in Provo again?

Cooper said...

When I was in a town called Cariacica, near Middleofnowhere, Brasil, we lived next to one of those famous open sewers. You'd think the smell would be the worst thing about that--nope. It was the mosquitos. I would even venture to say that those mosquitos could eat a family of your French-speaking Canuck mosquitos.

Anyhoo, one morning I awoke to find twenty-three bites on one leg and more than forty (I stop counting anything more than forty) on the other. Worse yet, my newly hand-washed bedsheets were covered in blood and little mosquito corpses. It looked like there was a Mosquito World War on my bed and underneath the fan to my left was where they were compiling the bodies.

Just thought I'd share that.

Cicada said...

Coop, that is hilarious. Yikes. Open sewers, eh? Wow. There was this one summer that we were living out at our cottage on the lake with no plumbing (plumming?). But I had summer school that year, so every morning, I had to get up and bathe in the lake. It was freezing cold, and by the time I'd walked down to the lake in my bathing suit, my legs would already have about 20 mosquitos each, eating breakfast. Ick.

daltongirl said...

So I'm wondering if you have a standing water problem somewhere in the neighborhood. Because a couple of years ago we almost died from West Nile Virus AND lyme disease because these neighbors like a whole block away had a pool of stagnant water in their backyard. Once they cleaned it out, the mosquitoes went away. It was a miracle. So my advice to you is to scout the neighborhood for kiddie pools and threaten anyone who has any more than a gallon of water brewing skeeter eggs on the premises. Good luck to you.

Cicada said...

Daltongirl---Have you read my post on "Let's Arrest the Tiger Mosquito"? It's the second post I ever made, I think. Look in the June archives. Anyway. Maybe the fact that my neighbors water their lawn by leaving on the hose for hours and hours contributes to the problem. Not the sprinkler---just water pouring right out from the hose. Anyway. I'll scout out the neigborhood.

Nemesis said...

I'll bet you money it's those freak water waster neighbors of yours. I'm sure you've already read my feelings on them. And now they're going to send you to an early grave!!!