Is that your final answer?

I had an interesting bird watching final yesterday. It was my final final. The first half of the test was a bird-identification test. The teacher or his TA gave away almost every answer. He'd hold up a dead, stuffed bird and ask what kind of bird it was. Here are some samples. See if you can get them right:

1. This was the first bird that Noah sent out from the ark. [Holds up a very large black bird.] Noah sent a raven out before sending a dove. A raven. Question 1: Name this bird.

2. [Holds up a large raptor (bird of prey).] Some people would describe this hawk as having a red tail. Name this bird.

3. Name this goldfinch. [Holds up an American goldfinch. Puts down the goldfinch, goes to the piano, plays America the Beautiful.]

4. [Holds up a bird that no one's ever seen before.] This is a dipper. [Talks for ten minutes on why dippers are so cool.] Dipper. The answer is dipper. Write down dipper.

5. Name this bird. Oh. It's not on the list of birds you have to know? Well, it's a snowy egret. Name this bird.

6. Name this duck. Don't be fooled. There's something distinctive about this duck. [The duck has a huge bill, so I know it's a shoveler.]

7. [Holds up a new duck.] Name four ducks this is not. Just four ducks that this duck is not. What are four ducks this is not? [He's seriously asking the class now.] I say "Mallard." He responds, "Correct. This duck is not a mallard. This duck is also not a shoveler--" [Here, he points to the duck that he showed in number 6.] "This duck is not a wood duck or a gadwall."

8. [Holds up a meadowlark.] You can find this bird in meadows.

9. Everybody, look up "kingfisher" in your books. Kingfisher. Look at that bird. Isn't that a great bird? [Holds up a bird that is not a kingfisher.] What is this bird? [A student says, "It's not a kingfisher." He says, "No, this bird is not a kingfisher." Student says, "Why did you just show us a kingfisher." He says, "Because the kingfisher's a cool bird."]

So yeah. When it comes right down to it, I'm glad I didn't study too hard for that test. The second part of the test was an essay response to "Why is it so easy to love bears?" I wrote this story and then wrote a few biological reasons they're cool, and started to be very conscious of the fact that the Daltoncrew was waiting in their car outside to take me to the Blog Party, so I brought the essay to a hasty conclusion with the sentence, "They are dangerously cuddly creatures that are just lovable."

And then I gave thanks that I'm not graduating today, because I really don't want that to be the last sentence of my college career.

13 comments:

stupidramblings said...

Related bird watching comment:

Today as I was driving in Atlanta, GA, I saw my first cardinal. Not the Catholic kind, but a bonafide red bird with the pointy thingy at the back of its head.

I got excited. Then I jerked the steering wheel back to the right to reassert my lane positioning...

Carina said...

Great final. GREAT.

Anonymous said...

I dearly love Dr. Black and his Appreciating Nature course. It was definitely a highlight of my undergraduate career. One of my favorite Dr. Black classes was when he had an entomologist and ichthyologist spend the class period arguing over which are cooler: ants or fish. So many great memories.

daltongirl said...

Bears?!?! Oh. I thought it was birds. Why is it so easy to love birds? Because they are dangerously cuddly creatures that are just loveable.

But now that I know it was bears, it makes a lot more sense. Because most birds are not that cuddly, and most of them are not dangerously cuddly either. So I was thinking, as you told me this story in the car, where "bears" and "birds" sound very much alike with windows down and all, that you were seriously whacked out when you wrote that. But they are loveable, I'll give you that. So, um, thanks for setting me straight.

Cicada said...

I'm glad I set you straight. Whether or not I could say the same thing for my exboyfriends is still debatable.

Melyngoch said...

I am now on the verge of pulling out all my old papers to discover what the final sentence of my college career was.

I mean, I'm studying for my Latin final! That's what I'm doing!

Justin said...

Oh Cicada, you are hilarious. I laughed out loud at least five times while I was reading this post.

Naturally, my comment is absolutely useless. But what can I say--I'm a self-centered teenager!

See you on Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you didnt graduate either. Now we both can continue our collegiate careers as the olders seniors alive

Jordy said...

Do bears really sleep all winter?

Th. said...

.

I wonder....

You know, at least it would be a memorable final sentence....

Nemesis said...

Hee hee, I had Dr. Black for appreciation of nature too, and he did the same thing. Also he sounds just like Thomas S. Monsen, and he read out this excerpt about a pond to us one time:

"The pond is alive with the sounds . . . of nature. Of sex . . . in the night . . ."

Some things just never leave you.

Snow Whiteley said...

That sounds like the best final ever!

My best final was the one I didn't have to take. The professor came in and told us that if we had an A in the class, we had two choices. We could either try to take the final and take whatever score we got, or just leave. Being Miss A, he asked my choice first. I said, "Let me get this straight. I can either take the final or leave and get an automatic A?!?"

I left.

Still, if I HAD to take a final, I think I'd like for it to be something like that.

P.S. Hooray for cardinals!

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I'm about to give a final and I wish it were going to be that easy. Hilarious.