I am an effector of change.

Read the following string of emails to see how I effect social change.

From: Cicada
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 8:40 AM
To: vending@byu.edu
Subject: melted twix

The vending machine in the KMC has been a little too warm lately. When we buy Twix, they come melted onto the wrapper. Then eating Twix in the workplace becomes unprofessional for two reasons:

1) You get melty chocolate all over your hands and you have to lick it off.

2) You have to lick off the remaining chocolate on the wrapper to feel you’re getting your money’s worth.

The melty Twix problem is a new phenomenon, but we have been experiencing it consistently over the past couple of weeks.

If you could do anything to regulate the inside temperature of your machine, we would appreciate it! Otherwise, we’re going to have to stop buying Twix and other chocolate items in the vending machine.


From: BYU Vending
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 9:07 AM
To: Cicada
Subject: RE: melted twix

I’m on my way to check the offending machine and twix it or not, get the machine in a good mood for all of you.

Thanks for the heads up,

Bob, BYU Vending



From: Cicada
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 10:44 AM
To: BYU Vending
Subject: RE: melted twix

Bob,

I’m currently licking my fingers from my last Twix and my typing skills have been significantly diminished. Melted Twix are not good for productivity. Not only do they lower morale, they also impair our ability to perform our jobs because we cannot do our jobs with chocolate on our fingers. Did you find anything wrong with the machine when you came to look at it last week? The Twix are still melty!

Cicada, BYU Independent Study


From: BYU Vending
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:53 AM
To: Cicada
Subject: RE: melted twix

I’m on my way to relieve the pain and suffering. I have a bid into purchasing to replace the machine, so bear with us, Please I beg of you.!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob


A half hour later, I saw a coworker pointing me out to a man wearing a BYU Vending polo shirt. He came to me with a box of Twix as a peace offering, explaining that he'd pull the vending machine away from the wall now (and hope that temporarily solves the problem) and see if he can replace it in about a month. Effected change never tasted so sweet!

8 comments:

emily said...

Wow, that is fabulous! Way to be persistent.

And as always, thanks for the laugh.

PS, How is productivity, post-melty-Twix?

stupidramblings said...

...And so be-twix-t the two of them, they licked the fingers clean...

ambrosia ananas said...

Hahahaha. That's great. I hope he gave you the whole box.

Ninon said...

Clearly you based your first email upon the success you had here in MD, when you bewitched the vendor-machine guy at the office into hand-delivering you a free snickers bar every time he came to re-fill the machine!

Snow Whiteley said...

Ah, behold the persuasive powers of Cicada!

Anonymous said...

Cicada, you are my hero.

redlaw said...

That's great, Cicada....way to go....Twix lovers around the world are thanking you!

Anonymous said...

Let's just say she has made the working environment better. I had to go on twix break because after receiving two melty twix, your desire for a twix dissipates.