How could I say no?

Tonight there was a knock on my door. I opened it up and a man named B-Money introduced himself to me and shook my hand. He had something to sell.

He told me all about the discount card he was selling---not the Starving Student Card (which I've used in the past) but the "Elite" card. He let me know that Starving Student Cards can sell for up to $25 (I bought mine last year for $15 and used the hell out of it for a year) but he was selling this card for a mere $7. Of course... it expires in September 2006, so I won't be getting the card for the whole year. So my stalling strategy was to take the card and look at it, so that I could at least give him a chance.

And as I was reading the card, seeing nothing that really interested me, it occurred to me that I had just raised his hopes by actually looking at the card. So my rejection was going to be even more painful. And then I started doing the math, because I do happen to be a coupon user, and if I could save more than $7 by using the card, then it was worth it to buy it. But then I came out with the best rejection ever:

"I'm sorry," I said, "but I have no cash and no checks." (The check part was a lie in that I have checks but not a lie in that I refuse to use them for anything but things that must be paid by check, like tuition and tithing.) He countered with the fact that he would sell it to me for whatever money I had in the house.

And at that point, I no longer could say no. I brought out my wallet that contained three crisp $1 bills that I've been saving to pay for the Comedy Sportz show I'm going to tomorrow night. And then I gathered all the change that I have lying around the house. In total, it was about $3.75. And he took the money. And then I felt bad that I was getting the card for so little. But he said that if I had friends who were interested in having the card, I could give them his phone number and they could buy a card from him. So in an effort to relieve my conscience, I'm going to pimp his card. Contact me if you want his number (I wouldn't be so mean as to just randomly post his number on the internet).

Here is a list of businesses offering discounts who are currently out of business. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Cafe del Sol
  • Buona Vita
  • Tony Romas
Okay, whatever. The list seemed more substantial when I was looking through the card the first time.

Here's what's actually good on the card:
  • BonLosee free hair cut
  • Clean Flicks free 3-month membership
  • JDawg's 2 hot dogs and a drink for $5 (I don't know what his regular prices are, so maybe this actually sucks.)
  • McGrath's fish house: FREE appetizer and FREE dessert with purchase of 2 entrees (and you get FOUR of these!)... oh wait... I'm dating a man who doesn't like sea food. Crap.
  • Glazies Donuts: Buy one dozen get one dozen glazed free
  • Smart Cookie Company: Third Wheel Special: Buy two cookie sandwiches, get one free
  • Comedy Sportz: Buy one admission get one free (basically this is what redeems the card entirely for me)
  • Muse Music: Buy one admission get one free
  • University Mall Cinema: Buy one admission get one free (When the dollar theatre is not enough... now, even cheaper!)
Okay, that's about it. Maybe there's other crap on there that would appeal to you that I haven't listed. Whatever the case may be, my conscience is now relieved.

12 comments:

Th. said...

.

Is JDawg's that stand just south of campus that used to be the cellphone place--next to Campus Photo and Cougar Copy?

Michael Paul Bailey said...

BTW, I'm not sure if you were planning on using that ComedySportz coupon tonight, but we don't accept them on Thursday nights. Technically the Yellow Number 2 show is not a ComedySportz show.

Kirk L. Shaw said...

What a deal. Does the card list, "Half off an elite card if your only income is from your couch" along with the other discounts?

Cicada said...

Th.: Yeah, I think so.

MPB: I'm planning on using the coupon to offer to friends who I want to accompany me to CSz. Like married friends. Like Daltongirl and Daltonboy. Who should consider themselves invited.

Cicada said...

Iguana Sam:

Well... remember that I bought mine for less than $4, so I think that the price of the Elite card is extremely negotiable right now. All I had to do to get such a good discount was make out with the guy for five minutes. Oh wait... did I forget to mention that in the post?

Anonymous said...

J-Dawgs is the best place in town for a hot dog. Without a discount, a J-dawg (polish or beef) is $2.75, and a dawg & drink together are $3.50. Not cheap, but sooo good. You can get special sauce, jalapeƱos, sweet peppers, sauerkraut, a pickle, and of course, ketchup and mustard. Oh, and they have all the apple beer you can drink!

Anyway, the point is that 2 dawgs and a drink is a decent savings. The Starving Student Card has that deal, too.

Anonymous said...

Um, I meant to say, 2 dawgs and a drink for $5.00 is a deal. And yes, J-dawgs is located just south of the corner of 700 East and 900 North, on the east side of the street.

daltongirl said...

I was just going to ask if the card benefits were extended to me and mine. Also, I can use the McGrath's part if you need me to. Except we ate there once and weren't impressed. Perhaps it's time to go again? Wanna come with us right before the show?

Anonymous said...

I think I've met B-Money before (unless there are multiple people with that name). He was a friend of a coworker of mine (the one arrested for longboarding on Maeser Hill) known as Sharkman.

And thus ends a completely pointless comment.

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows B-Money. I've actually had this conversation before, and it's attested fact. Now you do too. Congratulations on joining the elite group that is Everybody.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Although I was hoping to one day become not just everybody but Somebody. Alas, but that day has not yet come.

Etelmik said...

I went hometeaching with B-Money once. And lived in his ward. And am one of the few males whose name he remembers on the spot. And I'm in his cell phone list.

I'm having a hard time thinking of something to brag about.