Ah, nuts!

On Saturday, I mentioned to The Boy that it seemed I had something stuck in the back of my throat. I referred him to Th.'s post on food that gets stuck in the back of the throat and said that maybe it was something like that.

On Sunday, I noticed that I could still feel it, but no amount of coughing or gargling would make it go away.

This morning, I could still feel it. So I looked at the back of my mouth in the mirror. I couldn't see anything. I got a flashlight. Now, I'm not intimately familiar with the back of my mouth, but it seemed to me that the half where there was the "irritation" looked different from the other half. So I started poking at it in the hopes of getting at whatever might be stuck back there.

I didn't find anything, but the area definitely felt worse after that. I started to wonder if it wasn't actually something stuck back there---maybe there was some gaping hole that didn't hurt for some reason. It was probably cancer.

I called my mom in the morning to ask her about it and she told me to make a doctor's appointment. I talked to my sister-in-law about it briefly and she suggested it was something wrong with my tonsils. And then I had glorious visions of emergency surgery preventing me from finishing any projects or doing any final exams. It was great.

I went to the BYU Health Clinic before noon. I explained to the doctor that I didn't feel like there was anything wrong---it felt more like there was something stuck back there---but it was getting worse for some reason.

Doctor: Have you been feeling ill lately?

Cicada: No.

Doctor: Any mucous?

Cicada: No. [I'm starting to feel really stupid and hyperchondriackish at this point]

Doctor: Sore throat or a cough?

Cicada: No.

So he looked in my ears and then he stuck a tongue depressor in my mouth and had me say ahhhhh. He peered in and said that everything looked normal. Which was surprising to me because this morning, it looked to me like half of the back of my throat was different from the other half.

I told him that I could still feel that something was wrong back there.

So he pulled out a big yellow flashlight and stuck in the tongue depressor again. After a couple pokes to the back of my throat, he pulled out the tongue depressor. And there was a little nut on it. And that was it. A nut had gotten stuck in the back of my throat.

So in the end, I had the opportunity to pay $10 to feel stupid and embarrassed today. Well, and to have someone else remove the nut that was stuck in the back of my throat. And that being gone is a relief!

10 comments:

Th. said...

.

As long as he didn't make you smell the nut, you've come out ahead, I'ld say.

Anonymous said...

So much for your body being amazing, eh?

Limon said...

My friend Frazzle B had a peanut stuck in his ear for the better part of a year whene he was ten. So just be glad you got it out when you did.

ambrosia ananas said...

Hey, at least it only cost you $10.

Cicada said...

Th.: Excellent point... only now I'm dry heaving just at the thought of smelling the nut.

SB: My body never ceases to amaze me.

Limon: Please tell more of that story.

Nemesis said...

Only guess what? Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me, only I could see something white and gross back there and I was sure it was cancer. I went to the Health Center and it turned out to be a piece of bread.

So embarassing.

Th. said...

.

Follow the link, my son. It's a cruelty of nature that my throat was designed to hold chunks of food for days at a time, festing and spoiling. It is an abomination, I agree.

Desmama said...

Same thing happened to me in high school with a cluster of pills I took for asthma (I swear!). I think I ate a big bready muffin to get rid of it (on the advice of the health teacher). It's such an annoying feeling!

Limon said...

Maybe I will get Frazzle B to share his story first-hand.

Next time you get a nut stuck in your throat, you could save money by releasing a squirrel in your mouth.

redlaw said...

Oh my, limon....considering that there's a commenter on here named squirrel boy, that is the raunchiest comment ever and I can't believe it came from you....hahahahahahahahahaha