My Brush with the Law

The other day, my mom suggested that I write a blog entry about the time that I got in trouble with the law. This was surprising to me because the last time we talked about it (when it actually happened) she didn't seem to have a sense of humor about it. Apparently six years have changed her outlook somewhat.

First, let me explain that we drove a big white suburban when I was in high school. It had running boards and sometimes my parents would have us all stand on the running boards on the outside of the suburban, hanging on through windows, as they drove. I remember one particular time that my dad did this---he drove past my friends and me as we were walking home from the store and he offered us a ride on the outside of the vehicle. We accepted and rode the several blocks home. Near the end, he started to joke around a bit by stopping suddenly and accelerating just as suddenly. I fell off the suburban and remember distinctly hearing the 7-Up bottles I had been carrying burst on impact. Only I found out about twenty minutes later that they hadn't burst at all and the noise I heard was actually my head on impact.

Apparently my parents decided at that point never to allow people to ride on the outside of the suburban again. They should have told us kids that.

I worked at Wendy's during the summer between my freshman and sophomore years at BYU. One night, The Boy came to pick me up after my shift. It was about 1:00 a.m. I had a friend, Jen, who was waiting for a ride with me. I invited her to hop on the outside of the suburban with me for a quick ride around the block. She did. And unfortunately, we found the longest, largest block in my whole entire city. I swear. It never ended. We were stuck on a large street with no place to turn off. As soon as we found a street to turn onto, we turned and got off of the car. And about two seconds later, the police pulled up behind us.

So the officer (he was alone) started lecturing us about reckless driving. He was trying to decide what the appropriate punishment for us would be and indicated that he could permanently revoke The Boy's driver's license. He brought us all into the back of his cruiser. Jen was crying. The officer talked about telling our parents about what had happened. Jen said, "Please! Not that! Please! I'll pay anything!"

The cop got really mad and said, "NEVER offer a bribe to a police officer!"

I spoke up in Jen's defense: "Sir, I think that she meant that she'd rather pay a ticket than have her parents find out."

Then the officer started to talk about tickets, saying that he could give us each a $90 ticket. I told him that I'd been working all summer to save for college, and I'd be losing half the money on the American exchange and that I couldn't possibly afford a $90 ticket.

His final solution was that he would take our information. And he would give us his information. And he would expect a phone call from my father (Jen got off with no punishment) in the morning, telling him that we had told him everything that had happened. If he didn't receive this phone call, he'd use our information to issue us tickets.

We went home and as I mentioned, my parents had no sense of humor about the situation. They were pretty mad about it. I'll admit, I thought it was interesting that they'd be so mad about us doing something that they had done on a regular basis. But whatever.

Possibly the best part of this story was The Boy's and my punishments. The Boy was grounded for a week. They said that he was responsible for what had happened because he was the driver. My punishment? My punishment was the guilt that I would obviously feel knowing that my brother was punished for carrying out my idea while I received no official punishment.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Too bad I had no conscience.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A coldhearted and unfeeling woman, you have revealed yourself to be. Viciously gloating over my punishment while suffering no repercussions for your encouragement and pressure in the whole ordeal. Let it be known that while under graduated licencing, I was an immaculate driver, and only did such a reckless thing because of begging and pleading.

Let it also be known that through my whole grounding, Cicada hung around with me, keeping me entertained and overall happy. She may not have a conscience, but at least she has a soul.

redlaw said...

Oh how I love brushes with the law....hence the three years of law school awaiting me....might as well know how to get out of all those sticky legal situations me and my friends get ourselves into, right?

Michael Paul Bailey said...

Speaking of the law, I must comment on something that I saw occur last night which was truly ridiculous.

I was performing in a show on BYU campus and walked past some students playing hacky-sack in one of the wide corridors of the Wilk. A campus police officer came up and told the students that they couldn't play there. It was absurd. Do we live in the 50s?

Mary said...

I laughed out loud at the part "NEVER bribe an officer"! That just makes me laugh. He's all serious about being a law man and stuff.
And then you trying to gingerly explain to Jumpy-to-Conclusion Officer he was wrong without getting yourselves arrested.

Limon said...

That reminds me of the only time I was ever in a police car. It was on the way to the middle school so that I could be a mentor for the DARE program. Say no to drugs!