Move over Betty Crocker

(Alternatively titled as "Ack! My Mouth is on Fire!")

I went grocery shopping last week. What that means is that I actually food in my house. This is something of a new phenomenon. Yesterday, I decided to bake bread, because of course, when one should be studying for finals and finishing up projects, one's natural inclination is to bake bread.

So I baked two loaves. Then I thought about how great Daltongirl thinks she is just because she can make a good sandwich. I had none of her ingredients, but what I did is I cut two slices off one loaf as soon as it came out of the oven. They were each about 1.5 inches thick. Then, I smeared one with peanut butter and the other with Nutella. Then I put bananas in the middle. By the end of my eating experience, I had peanut butter and nutella on my nose, cheeks, and chin. And banana in my eyebrow. And I decided that my sandwich was way better than Daltongirl's.

Lately I've been craving egg salad sandwiches. I don't know why. I've also been craving devilled eggs. So just now, I went to the kitchen, cut another couple of slices off my loaf, and got out a couple hard-boiled eggs. I also grabbed my mayonnaise, only to discover that it expired months ago (I always thought that mayo was something that didn't expire like ketchup or mustard). So I had to improvise. I looked up devilled eggs in a cookbook and found out that you use mustard powder. So I put a little mustard powder in the smooshed up eggs. And then I tasted them, and I could hardly taste anything. So I dumped in a bunch more mustard powder. I still felt it was missing something, so I shook in a bunch of dill weed. Then I spread my egg mixture between my slices of homemade bread.

To make a useless story short, it's disgusting. And my mouth is on fire---way too much mustard. So I think I'm going to have to throw out (or up) the whole effort. And ride my bike to Daltongirl's house or something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the egg salad sandwiches BYU used to have in their vending machines before they switched to the nasty sandwich company with bread that falls apart in your mouth, sometimes before it even gets there? That was good stuff. That, and the chicken salad and alfalfa sprouts on those tasty rolls.

No, you really can't go home again.

Carina said...

Mmmmm nutella on fresh bread. Now THAT is worth skipping a final.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I am a finals week baker myself. Last semester I made three pies, two kinds of cookies, two kinds of caramel popcorn and then had a bunch of people over to eat it all. It's a somewhat constructive way to blow off stress.

This semester, since I'm dogsitting, I'm not baking. Which is kind of sad, actually.

Melyngoch said...

damnation, but i need to find better ways to fritter away my time at the end of the semester.