The Nest

Well, I promised a few people that I'd finally post pictures of my apartment, and it's finally in a condition that I can take pictures to post. There are still a few minor things that I'll change with time and money, but for now, this is what it looks like. Enjoy!

Welcome to my kitchen. In my kitchen, like you've seen before, is my Scrabble fridge. Today, the message is as follows because when I was refinishing the chair, I got Armorol all over the kitchen floor. Despite my mopping, it remains a slippery hazard. You may come to my house but you may not sue me if you fall and hurt yourself. The hazard has been clearly marked.



Below is my sink area. This is all the counter space that I have in my kitchen, actually, which is unfortunate, but with just me and The Boy, we manage well enough. However, any time I cook, I end up putting the dish drainer over the sink to clear up a little extra space for me. You may notice that there's something weird about the pictures. I photoshopped the glare off of the one by cloning (and not very well) the other. So they're actually not identical prints, but they are complementary, so you get the gist of it.















Next we have the table and chairs that I spent so much time working on. They were a pain in the butt to do, but now that they're done, I'm happy. Except that I get nervous whenever anyone goes near them (but I've already forgiven Mishkin for dropping his plate of cake, breaking the plate, and spilling cake all over the seat of one of my precious, precious chairs).




















Now we have the little built-in shelves unit. I love built-in shelves so I thought I'd give you a close-up. The print above the shelves matches other prints that I have on the wall around the table and chairs, but I didn't take a picture of that since the light coming in from the window was too strong to get a good shot. (By the way: Extra points if you can identify what items I'm babysitting for Nemesis while she's in England.)




















Now on to the living room. I've really tried to make my house non-gender-specific. I was basically making all the decorating decisions, but I didn't want to make The Boy feel resentful (you should see his bedroom---the feng shui of it would kill you!). So you'll notice a monkey with headphones and prints from explodingdog.com. Very manly. Very manly, indeed!











































































8 comments:

daltongirl said...

I adore your apartment. Especially the cheese grater and single blue plate you're babysitting for Nemesis. I tried to get her to leave ME the grater, but she clearly loves you best. I am trying to move on.

Anyway, it is all so darling, and you are so very talented! It makes me wish I had time and energy to work on my own house again. Ours is a "walk through the twentieth century." In progress. So far all we've really got down is the fifties living room. Our bedroom will be sixties, once I get the Scottie dogs thing going, and the kitchen is forties. Laundry room is thirties, or something like that. There's a bunch of old stuff in there. So yeah. If you have any cheap tips, I'd love them. You are a genius. And way to go with the masculine touch.

Cooper said...

Amazing! I feel like I just got home and my wife is watching one of those "Leave the house for a day and when you come home we will have ruined your life" decorating shows on TLC--except that yours actually looks good!

Nemesis said...

So cute. And it's even better in person, because usually you're making something great in the kitchen.

Th. said...

.

Nice chimp.

But your warning does not say the floor is currently in a dangerous state, just that it would be given certain circumstances. That those circumstances are currently extant is never clearly stated.

Can I come over and sue you?

Mary said...

there is beauty all around...

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

oooh! So pretty! I love it a lot! I was going to guess that you were babysitting Nemesis's dead fish. But it's not there. Did the fish finally die? Is that why you don't have it?

Cicada said...

DG---the cheese grater and blue plate actually belong to me. Sorry. No points for you. My sister-in-law tried to steal the cheese grater from me, but I wouldn't let her.

SM---I didn't actually paint it myself, but one reason I signed the contract was that I loved the colors.


th---Come over and sue me anytime.

Miss Hass---Also no points for you, I'm afraid. Sorry. I don't even think that Nemesis flushed the thing in my toilet, so I think that I've been in no way connected to the dead fish.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, just lovely.