As the Move Continues...

I'm still in the process of moving. It seems that something comes up every night that I want to work on the apartment (which is every night). We got the bulk of the work done on Tuesday, but there is still so much to do, and I find that I work circularly instead of linearly---I start doing one thing, I go into the next room to get scissors, I see something else that needs to be done, I start doing that thing, I go into another room to throw away garbage, I see something else that needs to be done, I start doing that thing...

Also, the absence of Internet, television, movies, and even books has effectively ensured that I can do nothing to relax after I'm too tired to work anymore. So I've just kept working since the only two other options have always been 1) go to bed, or 2) stare at the wall. Last night, I finally got some books into my apartment (Brother 2 moved into a new apartment unexpectedly yesterday, so I helped him to move and I grabbed a few of his books in the process). I was thrilled to stop working on my own apartment at 8:00 p.m. and actually sit down with a book. My entire body was buzzing. I was so exhausted. And then I realized that I had absolutely no food in the house.

Okay. So that's an exaggeration. I had one bottle of water, two cinamon rolls and a can of baked beans.

I had to go buy groceries. I realized that it would only get harder the longer I procrastinated, so finally I left at 9:00. I walked down to Allen's (people have warned me that it's ghetto, but I haven't even moved my bike to my new place yet, and it was the only place within reasonable walking distance). The problem was that I wasn't even hungry when I was at the grocery store, so nothing even appealed to me. I wandered the isles for a half an hour before I had any idea of what to buy.

I walked out of Allen's with a rather large back pack full of groceries. It was full to overflowing, even and I slung it on my back with difficulty. As I trudged home, I wondered what it would be like if I were that much heavier---if the load that I was carrying on my back were actually converted into fat under my skin that I had to lug around with me everywhere I go. I thought I must have had a hundred pounds of groceries on my back.

So I weighed in when I got home. With the back pack full of groceries, I weighed 210. Without the back pack and groceries, I weighed 175.

Huh. That's 35 pounds, which is exactly how much weight I want to lose. Now that I know how much that is, then I realize what a daunting task I have before me.

Didn't I say that I weighed 175 pounds and wanted to lose 35 pounds a month ago?

3 comments:

daltongirl said...

Let's get down to where the rubber meets the road (that's a Ross Perot quote, which will be mildly funny to you if you read my blog for today). "Cicular" working is a euphemism for Attention Deficit Disorder (commonly known as ADD). They have medication for it, and if you think your entire body is buzzing now, hot dang!

Also, it's not a good idea to find out what thirty-five pounds really looks like. At Thanksgiving Point they used to have this display in the barn before they turned it into a profit machine (don't get me started on that whole "We're giving back to the community" crap). Anyway, the display showed, in sticks of butter, how much fat was in ordinary food items. So Nemesis' single Symphony bar that she made s'mores with over the weekend would be represented by something like four cubes of butter. Makes you want to go out and buy a few on your next trip to Allen's, don't it?

So all that display ever did for me was make me want to puke. Which is about what I might do if I saw a backpack full of all the fat I want to lose. It would in no way motivate me to actually shed the baggage.

Nemesis said...

Hey, why do you have to be bringing me and my sticks of butter into this?

Cicada, I'm the same way when it comes to tasks like that. I don't think it means we have ADD, I think it means that we don't like to work. I know as long as I'm doing something other than what I was originally supposed to be doing, I feel good. That's why my room used to get so clean when I had a paper to write.

Etelmik said...

I must say--I admire your frankness and willingness to say your actual weight. How many women do that? I didn't get one of my ex's weight out of her for a while...(though I [i]did[/i] get it, I must add).