I Didn't Even Scream

But only because the loud noises I made don't count as "screaming."

So I went to the podiatrist's today for another follow-up visit. A bit of history: Since October I have been having serious pain in my foot. It took months of my limping about for my friends to finally convince me to see a doctor. So I went to the health center in May to see their podiatrist and to figure out what's wrong with my feet. I have a Morton's Neuroma, which means that some tissue has grown, surrounding a nerve between my third and fourth toes, which means that I am in a lot of pain quite often.

Since that visit to the health center, I've had several follow-up visits to the podiatrist's clinic. He'd love to surgically remove my bunions ($4000 each) but tells me that we won't do that till I have insurance that actually covers it (I've known my whole life that my bunions would have to be removed one day...). On the first visit, he made molds of my feet so that he could fit me with orthotics. Two weeks later, I went back and received not only the orthotics (I thought they'd be these cushy gel in-soles or something. Instead, they're hard plastic meant to reshape my feet---like braces, but for feet) but I also received the ceramic molds of my feet ("If you have them, then we'll always know where they are"---clearly they don't know me well---did I mention that I had to walk to the clinic this morning instead of bike because I couldn't find my bike lock?). I went in a couple weeks later, after showing no signs of improvement, and he readjusted the orthotics and told me that if there was no improvement in three weeks, then he'd have to inject my foot with steroids.

I knew it would hurt.

I even asked my mom (who has had every kind of foot problem there is---and I'm so grateful that she's left me a few as an inheritance) and she said it would hurt.

I went in today. I sat in his seat, barefooted, and I thought I knew what was coming. He asked me about improvement. I told him that I could still only wear two pairs of shoes and even wearing running shoes was impossible. He said, "Well, we'll put a little medicine in there." As he said it, his eyes flashed a certain way that indicated that he was keeping some secret from me. But I knew what the secret was.

I knew it would hurt.

He came back a little later with a long needle. He started spraying my foot with this freezing cold numbing stuff. He said, "Now, this may hurt a little bit." Again, there was the look in his eyes. The look that made me know he was lying. Then the worst part. He said, "So where are you from?" I knew that it was only something he was using to distract me and "Ontario" was the last thing I said before he jabbed the wretched needle into the top of my foot (to reach the bottom!).

The only thing I could do was laugh because it was the only socially acceptable noise that I could make. I laughed a sharp, hyena-like, barking laugh that got louder and louder as the pain increased (he wiggled the needle around and squeeeeeeeezed the steroids into my foot).

"You---weren't---kidding---when---you---said---ITWOULDHURT!" I said, unable to control the volume of my voice (I could imagine other patients, nervously squirming in their seats).

And after about seven seconds of intense pain, it was over as soon as he withdrew the needle. "Ontario? Boy. That's a beautiful place!" He probably would have said it about any place: "New Jersey? Boy. That's a beautiful place!"

He added, "I had to warn you that it would hurt a little, but I couldn't tell you how much it would actually hurt because I didn't want to scare you." Thanks, doc.

I'm just proud I didn't scream.

6 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Oh, sad. Have I ever mentioned that I hate needles? [shudder] Good job on not screaming.

Nemesis said...

Oh sweetie. I'm so sorry. So so sorry. You're probably the bravest person I know.

Last year I had a really bad ingrown toenail and my friend's doctor dad snuck me into the ER to fix it. Only he had to inject my big toe first and it pretty much felt like he was carving his name on there with a needle. And I couln't scream because I didn't want the other doctors to rush in and find out that Doctor Dad and I were scamming the health care system.

And that was just a toe. You are all kinds of brave.

daltongirl said...

I will not share this story with Bret, b/c he will pass out just listening to it.

Sometime I'll share with you the story of the Sadistic Japanese Doctor who pierced my eardrum and then inserted a vacuum cleaner through the hole and sucked all the fluid out of my sinuses through my ear.

Then there was the time the other Sadistic Japanese Doctor (they're all sadistic, I think) sliced open my appendix scar and started digging around in there with a spoon, pulling pieces of suture out--without any kind of anasthesia.

I certainly don't want to insinuate that any of that hurt more than the needle in your foot, but I do want you to know that I have an idea what pain is about, and am sympathizing with you right now.

You are Cicada the Brave, and I salute you.

Cicada said...

Augh! Daltongirl and Nemesis! Thank you for your battle stories! It's nice to know that we've all spent a little time in the trenches. The sad thing is that now that I'm at work, the foot is starting to hurt and if it had only started to hurt before I left for work, I could have convinced myself to stay home and read Harry Potter (Brother 4 finished the book in one day and gave it to me yesterday).

daltongirl said...

That laugh you made--was that the same sharp, hyena-like, barking laugh you made when I told you the tick story? Or a different one?

Go home and read Harry Potter. People with extreme foot pain should never be at work.

Tolkien Boy said...

Oh, I don't think I said this earlier...I'm sorry you're in pain, but I AM glad that my ultimatums had some effect...perhaps you may now start to heal?