The Outdoor Movie That Was

After work yesterday, I got a phone call from my dear friend, G, who informed me (without even knowing about my quest to find an outdoor movie!) that there was an outdoor movie up in Park City. After making sure that it was not Spellbound, I eagerly agreed to go. Brother 2 come along with my neighbor and her boyfriend (the neighbor used to live in a ward with Brother 1 and Brother 2 and the boyfriend used to be Brothers 1&2's roommate) and Tolkien Boy (good to see him after a long time).

We got up to the park in Park City and met up with G and her friends, a guy and a girl who were under a blanket together. The girl immediately told us, "We're not together, I'm not committing adultery---he's my brother." So I decided that it was important to state for the record that I, too, was not dating my brother, nor was I dating Tolkien Boy, because obviously it's best to have all dating-relationships clearly established when you first meet people.

Brother 2 and TB and I all ran to the 7-11 to get some snacks for the movie (I hadn't eaten dinner). Once in the store, I decided to use their facilities---or facility. I really didn't expect much from a 7-11 restroom in the first place. I went in and it was as gross as one might expect, but nothing out of the ordinary. Of course I chose to hover because a girl does such things in such places. But when I came out of the restroom to wash my hands (there was no sink in the actual facility), an employee immediately went into the bathroom and sprayed the whole thing down with disinfectant, and did I imagine it, or did he really cast a sideways glare at me? I hovered! I hovered!

Once we got back to the park, the movie had already started. It was The Maldonado Miracle (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0328097/), which was really cute and highly enjoyable. I recommend it.

Of course, it being an outdoor movie, there were elements of the outdoors that contributed to the movie-watching experience. I don't know what it is I love so much about outdoor movies. I never actually saw the bottom of the screen (when they'd speak Spanish, I had to rely on my rudimentary Spanish comprehension skills, or prop myself up higher on my elbows to see the subtitles). Park City was colder than Provo and the huge blanket that I brought was being sat upon by Brother 2 and TB, so there was no way to warm myself. People smoked. A dog barked during a very important scene and the audience errupted in laughter because (have you ever noticed?) during movies in large crowds, whenever anything ordinary happens to detract from the movie you're watching, it automatically becomes hysterical.

But it all contributes to the outdoor movie experience and I don't think I could have asked for anything better for my Friday evening.

1 comment:

Tolkien Boy said...

Nor could I. It was a wonderful experience, one that needs to be repeated. Thanks, too, for the proper spelling of the movie title...I've been slaughtering it every time I've recommended it to people.

And I'd say your Spanish skills are fine. You'd always laugh before I even finished reading the translation. I felt dumb...I mean, I'M the one with a year of Spanish under his belt...