Buried Treasure

Yesterday was a great day. I realized at work during the morning that it was time to buy flatware and glasses, the two purchases that I had been leaving till the very end (nine days till I move to my new apartment). Of course, since I had already decided what flatware I wanted to buy, and that it's absolutely fabulous (see picture), then I wanted to go out and buy it immediately. I slyly asked Brozy where she'd be going for lunch. She said that she had packed a lunch but needed to get out of the building and would take me wherever I wanted to go. I told her that my "restaurant" was about five miles away.

My restaurant was Walmart (they have food!). I skipped over to the dish section, humming and singing all the way and grabbed my very own set of flatware (was it naive of me to search through and get the one with the fewest minute scratches since all my flatware will have minute scratches once I start to actually use it?). Since I could only afford quality flatware for four, then I also grabbed bundles of forks, knives, and spoons for a dollar each (this is the flatware that I'll let my little brother use).

I didn't mean to buy glasses at Walmart. I actually meant to buy glasses (12 for $9.99) at Bed Bath & Beyond. But Walmart had matching glasses that I could buy 12 for $5.50. So I went with the Walmart brand and then guilt-free bought a set of four wine glasses for $3.50.

The result of all of this is that I feel like a pirate. Yes, that's right. A pirate. The type that buries treasure. When I got my purchases home, I looked at them from every angle. I sat back and closed my eyes and imagined them in my new apartment. Then, I carefully packed them under my bed with the rest of my buried treasure. The space under my bed hides all the little purchases I've made in preparation of moving to my new apartment, plus all the old things that I already owned but haven't used in years (one roommate here keeps the entire kitchen stocked with her stuff, and really, I'd prefer the whole apartment use her stuff rather than using mine). I have gorgeous cheese plates, two 16-piece dining sets ($5 each at Macey's), mugs that look like Hermie and Santa (from that Rudolph Christmas classic), six turquoise plates (DI), six green plates (DI), four navy plates (DI), four matching dessert plates (DI), four fantastic blue bowls, four matching blue plates, a VCR, a rolling pin, and many other things that I can't even remember, but will reacquaint myself with in a little over a week. Now I've added the glasses and flatware. I am like a pirate.

No comments: