Hundred-Dollar Pillows

Well, I'm trying to finish my second matching pillow. I made a blanket, then a pillow to match the blanket, and now I'm trying to finish the other pillow. So far I've worked on the second pillow for about fifteen hours (I didn't keep track of time on the first pillow). I think that I have another five hours to go at least, and that's not counting another trip to Walmart to get another thing of beads. So far, I've spent $6 on fabric and $8 on beads. Not too bad when you think that what I'm getting for it all is a fantastic bed spread and matching pillow set. All for $14.

But in terms of time spent on the project, on the other hand... Well, if we estimate that my time is worth about $10/hr (that's low-balling it, folks---you all know I'm worth way more than that), then these pillows cost anywhere from $150 to $200 each. The blanket is probably another $150. So that makes my whole bedding set worth about $550. Dang. I wonder if that means that if I design the bedding and then set up a sweatshop for kids to bring my fabulous ideas to fruition, then I can make my millions...

Other ways of making my millions:
Sewing ribbons on lampshades (15 hours per project)
Making papier mache boxes (3 hours per project)
Making leather bracelets (1 hour per project)
Making bridal shower invitations (I'm estimating about 5 hours for this one)
Making record bowls (6 minutes per project)

All this reminds me that maybe I should explain the story of the leather bracelet...

No comments: