Third time's a charm.

(For those who have expressed concern, yes this picture is completely doctored. Forgive the pun. I wanted it to look like I was rotting.)

For the third time in a month, I am home. Sick. This is ridiculous. I have never been sick this often in my life, and March 2008 will forever be known to me as the worst month of my life. Healthwise, I mean.

I started feeling under the weather again on Saturday, day 3 of Switchback's visit. Despite my under the weatherness, we were able to engage in some awesome activities. Such as, we went on a walk and saw a rocket, and walked on two freeway overpasses and one frontage road. And we taught Murray how to speed walk and he's really really good at it.


On Sunday I was feeling worse, so I stayed home from church because I am a responsible person who does not teach sunbeams when she is possibly contagious. Switchback, as promised, delivered on her Easter Egg hunt, but we scheduled it for the afternoon. When she asked where to do it, I was kindof confused because I thought that the answer was obvious. You see, having been raised in Canada, it never even occurs to me that an Easter Egg hunt might happen outside. To me, Easter Egg hunt means searching through drawers, couch cushions, cupboards, ovens, blankets, or any other main-floor hiding places. So this year, Switchback did her first ever indoor Easter Egg hunt and I'm telling you, she's a pro. And I think that I've converted her to the indoor Easter Egg hunt. First of all, there's lots of really great hiding places. Second of all, you find Easter Eggs months after Easter and that's just awesome. Unless they're real eggs. Which is not so awesome. She assured us that we didn't find all the eggs, and she's happy to let us discover them ourselves over the next little while. Yesterday we even saw a couple eggs hidden on top of picture frames and such. She's so clever. Every time we discover a new egg now, we laugh and think about how much we love Switchback.

So back to me being sick, though. When I woke up Monday morning, I realized that working would be impossible. My throat was the most sore it's ever been in my entire life and I wanted to die. And I'm certainly not one to go to the doctor for a sore throat but first of all, it was SO sore, and second of all, it was the third time in one month that I called in sick to work, so I decided that something HAD to be done.

I have to mention right now that I really like my insurance company. I called member services and on my behalf, they called around to all the doctors in the area until they could find one close to me. Then, they patched me through and remained on the line as we scheduled the appointment. They supplied info that I didn't have handy. Isn't that awesome?

The doctor's visit was actually pleasant. I really liked the nurse. She was really personable and friendly and chatty. She did a throat swab to see if I have strep, and left it on the counter for the doctor. When the doctor came in, he looked at the strep test and said, "Pregnancy test today?" Then when my eyes went wide, he said, "Juuuuuust kidding." That was my first sign that I had a great doctor. His bedside manner was great. Although we didn't exactly determine what was causing me to be so sick, he did determine that it's not strep. He gave me a prescription and told me a couple over-the-counter items I needed to get, and sent me on my way, telling me to call him if I didn't get better.

Today I am feeling MUCH better. My throat is still sore, and I'm still home from work, but at least today I can swallow without wincing. That's priceless.

9 comments:

MTDA said...

YOU'RE priceless. I am sorry you are still sick, aand I am sorry that from the time I just saw you at lunch about 40 minutes ago and now, you have turned into a zombie. That is one nasty sore throat.

But you are cute regardless.

G said...

I remember often doing our Easter egg hunts indoors when I got a little older, and I am from California so it wasn't a weather issue! It's true, they're just so much more fun and challenging that way.

Jordan said...

The first few months of marriage were the most germ-ridden months of my life. At least while you're home sick you can scan the room for more eggs.

Rynell said...

When I was first married (gosh that makes me sound ancient), I taught nursery. I was sick all the time. Not kidding. Those little germ magnet Sunbeams may in fact be cantagious culprits.

Anonymous said...

Ack! Sorry you're sick. :(

Unknown said...

I really hope that photo of you was doctored in some way. You look like you have the Black Plague.

Shop Girl* said...

Actually, now that I think about it, I was sick quite a bit my first year of marriage as well... my dad used to tell me that I was allergic to the Hubster and that it was his fault. haha

I hope you feel better soon!!

Snow Whiteley said...

I hope you feel better. Good luck tracking down the Typhoid Person/Object that keeps making you sick.

The Holyoaks said...

Macy was on my lap the other day when I was looking at your blog. She started freaking out until I realized she was afraid of your picture and closed the page. I thought that was pretty funny. It is a scary pic, I guess.