Gelato: Four Times in Five Days

I think that my love for gelato might be bordering on obsession. Murray may agree; I've dragged him to Maestro Gelato again and again ever since Jenny told me about the store opening. Last night, I put in a take-home order so that I could bring samples back to El Senor and my coworkers.

(Image not from actual store. Murray's camera is out of batteries.)

If you've never had gelato (and you live in the Provo area) now's your chance. It is a milk-based ice cream (less fat) that is a bit denser. If you have had gelato, then you already know you love it. Maestro Gelato gives you a chance to indulge without having to spend $1000 on a plane ticket to Italy.

I was shocked to find out that they have my favorite gelato flavor---yogurt. You may not think that sounds like much, but go in and try it (especially try it and chocolate or chocolate raspberry together) to understand what I'm talking about. Its tangyness (think cheesecake) perfectly complements chocolate. Of course, it tastes great with fruit flavors, too.

I was also shocked to discover that their gelato is exactly what I'd expect to find in Italy. This is the first time that I've found good Italian gelato here in the States.

So spread the word, please. I need these people to stay in business to feed my addiction.

Maestro Gelato, 22 West Center Street, Provo

(To those in Salt Lake City, I have yet to try Dolcetti. Once I do, I'll let you know how it compares to Maestro Gelato and real, Italian gelato.)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep driving past Dolcetti Gelato—it's between my place and my brother's—and have been wondering if it's any good. If you try it before me, be sure to let me know how it is.

Also, every day at work should be gelato day.

FoxyJ said...

We'll be in Utah in a few weeks, so maybe I'll have to try it. I ate gelato a few times on my mission and it was delicious. I like the hazelnut flavor.

Anonymous said...

But what about the Columbia Mall?

Jenny said...

mmmm. So delicious. I love how they didn't care that I tasted almost every flavor. I really liked the mascarpone one.

daltongirl said...

I've never had a gelato that I liked, but then again, I've never been to Italy. I have always suspected that the American versions I've tasted weren't authentic enough for me to make a reasonable judgement about gelato.

I drive to Provo with and open mind and hope for the best.

I just don't understand the flavors that are topped with green olives or wedge fries.

Jordy said...

how much is this? There is a gelato place in Flower Mound, TX that is just awesome. I remember it being rougly $3 a scoop...

Abbie said...

Oh goodness, thank you for telling me. There is this AMAZING gelato place in Brugge Belgium that we visited every day in June when we were there. He will be soooo excited.

Cicada said...

Anonamom: It is better than the stuff in Columbia.

Jordy: It's between about $3 and $5 depending on how much you get.

MTDA said...

For the record, I am ready and willing to continue to feed Cicada's obsession, I may eventually grow to hate the stuff...but you know....it's gelato....so THAT'S not likely.

Carina said...

Do they, gulp, have, uhm, hazelnut?

I hesitate to even ask for fear of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed.

Mmmm, just the thought of gelato brings back memories of hot summers in Italy. The rivulets of goodness running down my hand. Begging our parents for another cone. Starving in Ravenna. The bombing at the Uffizi--that's a story of its own.

I am going to turn into a seriously fat person if there is good quality gelato in Provo. I'm totally with you on the yogurt flavor. Perhaps I shall make a resolution to only walk or bike to the gelato place.

Who am I kidding?

Cicada said...

Azucar, of course they have hazelnut!

Carina said...

Thanks for the tip. Is it rude to burp on a blog? My hazelnut double scoop was divine.

Anonymous said...

Gelato in Provo!? They had a place "La Golosa" in the Canary Islands where I was a missionary. My favorite flavor was "avellana"--hazelnut, which they apparently have. Thanks for getting the word out Cicada.

Snow Whiteley said...

Thanks Cicada for the word. Now I am jealous of Provo-dwellers. Ever since I moved back to Missouri I've been trying to find gelato out here. Not so easy.

If I ever make it back out to Provo, I now know my first stop.

bedelia said...

Just ate some...pregnant women should not know about places like these. So good.