Thirteen Thousand Words

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Later, Murray and I will illustrate our trip to San Diego so that you can see how it compares to our Puerto Nuevo prediction. In the meantime, I will provide you with all this evidence of fun and frivolity.

on the road

In New Port, Mexico:


Switchback kindly cropped out the graffiti, trash, and beer-drinkers. But I just negated all that work she did by telling you that this scene originally had all those things.


Our feast was worthy of the trip. The lobster was tiny but delicious. The cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped, deep-fried shrimp was the best.

Switchback and her lobster.

Me, Redras, and Redras's wrestling masks. Last year I brought a Mexican wrestling mask home from Tijuana, so this year, Redras simply had to get the same thing for her brothers. The bartering process occurred on our way out of Mexico. There is a long line of cars waiting to exit the country (it takes one to two hours to get out) and so street vendors walk through the slow-moving traffic with random merchandise. Want a Coke? They've got it. Want a gigantic plastic lawn turtle? They've got it. Squeezable polenta? Mexican popsicles? Check and check. Forgot to buy your life-sized crucifix? No problem---they'll bring it to you at the border.


Switchback, in two countries at the same time.


Redras in the back of the car.


Me, on La Jolla beach Sunday night, proving that going to the beach is a Sabbath activity because I'm wearing my Sunday clothes. Murray and I learned that we do, actually, like long walks on the beach.

Murray on the beach. Holding my purse. But you wouldn't know it.


Looking for birds and whales and other sea creatures at Cabrillo National Monument.

A mermaid on the beach. Many thanks to Murray for not choosing to make me into a manatee.

6 comments:

MTDA said...

Seeing that stuffed shrimp again makes me wish I were a resident of Puerto Nuevo, Mexico....although I probably would have to end up selling gum like those poor 'chiclet' kids.

Emily said...

I love that you guys actually like long walks on the beach. For some reason that strikes me as funny.

Also, you guys are cute together. I'm sure you know that, though.

Saule Cogneur said...

I went to Takatae last Thanksgiving and bought a wrestling mask; it's pretty sweet too. We should have a Mexican Wrestling Mask party one of these days.

Rachie said...

Oh my gosh, you guys are so cute. I'm jealous of your vacation! I need one--badly. :)

I'm going to invite you and Murray over to the new house for cards, sodas, and snackies. It will be good times.

Unknown said...

Mexican wrestling masks?! I am so jealous.

Th. said...

.

Yeah, manatees=not as good.