I'm Not an Addict (Maybe That's a Lie)

I currently have two addictions (three if you count Murray). They are Etsy and Amy Butler fabrics and patterns. The bad thing about these addictions is that I don't feel remorse when I spend money on either of them.

With Etsy, I'm supporting independent art, which is actually quite noble. The writer of Design Sponge talked about creating a gallery wall in her home and I've decided I'm going to do the same thing after I've collected enough art. (Luckily because of Murray, I won't have to buy all the art---he can create it and then I can display it.) But so far, I've purchased three things on Etsy. In one week's time... come to think of it, it may actually be a bad addiction (not to mention that I coerced Ambrosia into purchasing a crochet pattern on Etsy so that she can try it out and then teach me how to do it). The positive side effect of being an Etsy addict is that I now check the mail almost every day, whereas previously I think I would go about three months on average between opening my mailbox (El Senor did it, and really, if all I'm getting is junk mail and bills that are already automatically paid, why take the effort to get my mail?).

This is my first Etsy purchase, a print from Dkim.



My second addiction is Amy Butler fabric and patterns. I also justify these purchases because I consider them "market research." I would eventually like to produce my own original fabric line (instead of designing fabric for a corporation). I also love her bags, and I figure that since I help to design bags as well, sewing Amy Butler's bags is really just investing in my own skills and knowledge. Did I spend $100 in Amy Butler stuff last month? Yes! And what an investment!

Last night I completed this Amy Butler bag just in time to take it to the beach in San Diego. Next month I'll take it to the beach in New Jersey.


And as long as I'm showing things I've bought and made, I may as well give you a sneak peak at a a lining I've done for work. I don't show my designs on the blog because they're not my property, but I think I can ethically get away with showing this picture of a sample product... This weekend I'm also using a weekender bag that uses my poppy pattern on the outside. I'll have Murray get a shot of it and post it when I get back.

9 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Let me just say again that it is so cool that you're designing fabric patterns for work.

Unknown said...

It really is cool. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get paid to play around in Illustrator all day.

Anonymous said...

How cute!!! You're my creative hero.

Anonymous said...

I want one!!

Unknown said...

I sent this link to my sister b/c she is the Patient Seamstress in our family. She's already printed out one of the free patterns, she's planning out her own Shopper Betty, AND she's going to make me a gumdrop pillow. Hooray! (But the excitement is only temporary. Once you are selling fabrics, we'll drop Amy with a quickness.)

The Holyoaks said...

I love Amy Butler, too. There is a really great fabric store here that carries a lot of her loot. Michael Miller is another good one. You're very talented. I've thought about purchasing one of Amy Butler's patterns, too, and making a bag sometime. Or, you can just make one and maybe I'll purchase that from the Etsy sight.

Jenny said...

I love how your big bag turned out.

Th. said...

.

The purse is my favorite.

No, the song is my favorite.

petullant said...

I love that poppies bag so much it's giving me palpitations.