Trip Highlights

The Beach

Although I put a lot of time and effort in putting together my beach outfit (I had to actually go and buy a bathing suit for the first time in years), I clearly am not a beach girl after all.
  • I put out my towel on the sand beside Switchback's. Hers was easily twice the size of mine. I had assumed that because my towel had blue stripes, it was a beach towel. My towel was not a beach towel.
  • I was smearing sun screen on Switchback's back and she started yelling at me for standing on her towel, telling me that not standing on someone else's towel is the number one rule of beach etiquette.
  • I brought a book that Redras had lent me and left it spine-open in the sun when I went into the water. When I came back, the glue had melted and the pages from the first part of the book had come completely loose.
  • I brought way too much stuff to the beach. I didn't use half of it.
Tijuana

One of the advantages of an unplanned trip is that you get to make it up as you go along. After the beach on Saturday we were discussing what we could do. I mentioned that I'd never been to Mexico. So we drove to the border, parked the car, and walked to Mexico. I loved the fact that there was no checking of documents on one's way INTO Mexico, but there was a big line to get OUT of Mexico. Tijuana was dirty, just as I expected. But the dirty men who solicit you are strangely good for the self esteem. When I'm feeling down, I'll always remember that dirty old men in Mexico will always want me. The number one priority in Mexico was to get a gift for a friend of mine who asked me to pick him up something expensive in Mexico. I got him a Mexican wrestling mask like Strong Bad wears.

Seals

There's this beach in San Diego that was made for humans but that seals found and claimed for themselves. So now, there's a beach in San Diego where humans can go to stare at seals. There's a line drawn in the sand that you're not supposed to cross. Switchback tells me that sometimes old men drag their barbecues across the line to protest the seal's claim on the beach. Then the PETA people get angry. The old men believe that humans, not seals, should have the beach.

Mirage

I rode back to Utah with Captains Fabuloso and Mom. On our way through Nevada, we stopped at Primm, an outlet shopping center. Immediately before you reach Primm, there is a stretch of desert that is sand only. We could see the area as we were driving towards it because we were coming from a higher elevation---we could see the sandy area and Primm very clearly. But as we got closer and lower in elevation, I saw that there was a giant lake in front of Primm. I thought that was funny because I hadn't seen a lake when we were looking down on the area, but the lake was clearly there. You could even see the reflections of the buildings in the water. And at this point, I started to recall something about mirages being an actual physical phenomenon. I suppose I had always assumed that they were more a mental delusion than a physical phenomenon. Only I knew that I wasn't delusional and I wasn't even thirsty. Captains Fabuloso and Mom discussed the "lake" with me and we all determined that as real as it looked to all of us, it must be a mirage. And sure enough, the closer we drove to Primm, the smaller the lake got until it eventually turned to dust. Which was so cool but would have been so depressing if we had actually been thirsty, dying wanderers.

5 comments:

Emily said...

The part about the men in Tijuana reminded me of a couple jokes that we have in my family. From my sisters' trips to Mexico, I offer two excellent quotes. They sound best when you imagine them with the correct accent.

1) "I rip you off less!"

2) a store that claimed to be "almost air-conditioned"

stupidramblings said...

Um, I know of a group of church youth who decided to go into Mexico, but the Peruvian kid got stuck because they didn't take any papers.

Also, If the men truly wanted to protest the seals, they would cross the line wielding clubs, maces and other hand-held medieval weapons.

Finally, I grew up in the dry dry of the desert, so I always took the mirages as a matter of course. I never imagined that intelligent people from non-dry parts of the world wouldn't have experienced a true mirage until their mid-twenties (20s). Good on you for not expending insane amounts of energy to get to the 'mirage,' only to dive into a pile of sand and swallow some of it and stand up with a face full of sand and a bewildered look on your face...

Natalie Gordon said...

I went to the seal beach last month while we were in San Diego. I wish I would have seen the old men with their BBQ's, because that would be fun to explain to the kids. Hand-held medieval weapons would NOT be fun to explain to the kids.

I've never been to Mexico (and I grew up in CA and AZ). I did go to Canada for lunch once.

Jenny said...

Man. I love the Williams-Sonoma Marketplace in Primm. Did you go there? Lucky! I'm totally jelous.

Kelly said...

Um, did you say Strong Bad? Because I just found out about Strong Bad a few weeks ago. I heart the Scroll Buh-ons song.