Quick Trip

When I talked about almost buying an Accent, I mentioned that Nemesis and I took a quick trip to California. About four years ago, I showed up to work one day and Nemesis said, "Want to go to California? We're leaving tomorrow." I called my mom to tell her that I was going to California. She was not pleased. I guess she wasn't really pleased because I called to tell her that I was going to California, not to ask her if I could go to California. I figured that because I was a college student, I didn't have to ask permission to go on trips anymore. My mom was seriously displeased. She asked who I was going with (I told her that Nemesis was my boss and the other girl was going to be in charge of fifty second-graders in a month, so my road trip mates were definitely responsible). She asked when we were leaving. How long we were going to be there. How we were traveling.

She was not pleased. She mentioned that if I went and died, she'd never forgive herself for letting me go. I pointed out that now, if I stayed in Provo for the weekend and died, she'd also never forgive herself for not letting me go. So either way, if I died that weekend, she'd never forgive herself. She also added, "I haven't even talked to your father about this, you know."

We talked about an hour later, after she had talked to my father. She thought he'd be even more reluctant to let me go than she was. Instead, he reminded her that I was an adult and she needed to let me grow up. (I should point out that at the time, I was already older than my mother was when she got married.) So she let me grow up, but reminded me that I was not a big city girl.

We went and met up with Amy Jane in California and had a great weekend. Oh, and I didn't die.

Well, on Wednesday, I got a random text message from Switchback that said, "Are you coming this weekend?" I was confused because I didn't know why she would even wonder if I was coming to San Diego this weekend. I thought maybe she read my blog about cars and assumed that I already had a car and would therefore immediately drive out to see her. No, she hadn't read my blog. She just figured it was a good idea for me to go to San Diego for the weekend. I patiently reminded her of all the reasons I could not go to San Diego (no money, no car, no air miles, no money, no car).

And yet, I started thinking about how I could possibly make it out to San Diego. And suddenly this morning, things came together when I found out that Kit was making a trip to southern California tomorrow and Captains Fabuloso and Mom were making their trip home from southern California on Monday.

So to you all, I say, "See you later, suckas. I'm going to California!"

6 comments:

N.F. said...

Holla a big HI when you get here! :) It's freaking hotter than heck, but what else is new? :)

Snow Whiteley said...

When I first saw your post I thought that you were talking about the gas station. I should have known to expect more from your blog. Have fun on your lovely California trip!

daltongirl said...

I'll never forgive myself if you die on that trip.

Nemesis said...

I need to write a post about how when it was your turn to drive in Southern California you clutched the wheel and whimpered "I am not a big city girl! I am not a big city girl!" over and over.

But really, the only reason you were driving is because I was too scared to.

Mary said...

My homeland!!! Sweet mother! Blow a kiss to the Pacific Basin for me!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you didn't die. I would feel really responsible for you death, unless you died on the drive home to utah, then I would be in no way responsible. PS what happens in mexico, stays in mexico