If I die before I wake...

My house has had a spider problem lately. If Redras is around, I make her kill the spiders I find. Or if I man is around, I make him do his manly duty. But honestly, this is getting out of control.

Yesterday, without necessarily setting out on a "spider hunt," I managed to kill six spiders. And it was the sixth spider that concerns me the most. You see, I found spider number five as I was going to bed. It was a small black spider on the wall at the head of my bed---approximately one inch away from where my head would be if I had lain down. But I didn't. I immediately went and got tissue paper, smashed it, and flushed it. And I shudder still just to think about it.

Many of you may know that it's been hot here in Provo lately. I put a box fan in my window and during the night I turn it on and it blows the cool night air into my room. Since the cool night air hasn't been as cool lately, I've been forced to sleep upsidedown in my bed, which allows my body to benefit more greatly from the blowing of the fan (which according to some cultures is not a good thing). I did actually wonder about spiders when I was going to sleep. Killing five spiders in one's house during a day tends to do that to one. So every little tickle I felt I swore was a spider and sortof freaked out. Until I eventually calmed myself and allowed myself to go to sleep.

Only I woke up at one point and my finger was itching. And I scratched it and thought, "That's funny... it feels like a mosquito bite but I didn't hear any mosquitos... the fun must have drowned out the..." ---and I didn't finish that thought because I fell back asleep. Until I woke up what I imagine was about thirty seconds later and felt my other hand itching. At that point, I thought, "It's a spider! I know I'm being eaten by a spider! If it was a mosquito I would have heard it the second time because my brain would have been prepared to hear it!" And really, in the back of my mind, I was thinking that I was overreacting and it was not really a spider. But I flipped on the lamp beside my bed and witnessed a spider running across my pillow case---where my hands had been. I ran to the bathroom and got tissue paper and killed it and flushed it down the drain.

And then I was awake for the next hour or so, researching Utah spiders on the Internet. Ugh. At least Nemesis was there (God bless time zones!) and able to provide me comfort.

I have drawn a picture in Paint of how I was sleeping so that you can appreciate how close the spider was to my head. For your benefit, I have pretended that I was wearing pajamas at the time, which, of course, I was not. What bothers me the most is why the thing bit me! I can understand why mosquitos would bite, but what did a spider have to benefit by biting me while I was sleeping? Do they suck blood? I don't think so? Do they feast on rotting corpses? Maybe, but I certainly wasn't there yet. Do they avenge the deaths of their spider brothers? Probably. Probably, my friends.

13 comments:

Jenny said...

SPIDERS ARE HORRIBLE. I feel for you, you know I do. I hope you've called your landlord and chatted about when the exterminator is coming to spray for bugs ( from my research last summer this is bug mating season so they are coming indoors to lay their nests) and get you an air conditioner so you are protected against things like that in the future.

I hope you're ok and not dying or anything.

Emily said...

That's disgusting.

I hate, hate, hate spiders.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I feel your pain. Last week I got bit by two attack ants. And in the last two weeks we've have quite a number of large and unseemly spiders in our house. We've seen at least 2 brown reculses...now that's what scares me! (We even had exterminators come about 1 1/2 months ago. Maybe time to call them to come back since it was a 3 month guarantee...)

Oh, and I loved the pic. by the way.

N.F. said...

I've been having an ant problem lately. TONS AND TONS of ants EVERYWHERE!

Especially in the bathroom, and I swear, they know when I'm coming w/the tissue. As soon as I get close, they SCATTER.

Then, I can't seem to get them.

Then, I get a whole bunch, come back 5 minutes later, and there are about 7000 more of them.

I, too, think they are coming to get me, to avenge their relatives untimely death.

Tolkien Boy said...

The whole reason you're not getting mosquito bites, though, is because the spiders are there eating them.

Spiders, ladies and gentlemen, are our friends.

Nemesis said...

I was glad I could be there for you in your time of need. Guess it's a good thing I have no life and spend all my time on the computer, huh? Wait--no--I mean--YESIMAWESOME!!!

Natalie Gordon said...

I am sorry for your spider inflicted sorrows.

I am the designated spider-killer in our home. Sometimes, in my meanspiritedness, I flush them without squishing them first. And yet, my greatest fear is that giant spiders are someday going to come for me to avenge the violent watery deaths I inflict on their smaller compatriots. And I know giant spiders exist - I've seen the documentary 'The Food of The Gods'.

Anonymous said...

so, my house also has quite a lot of spiders and/or other bugs. it has happened twice to me now that i will be innocently standing in my room, when a HUGE spider will lower itself from the ceiling and land on my NECK. last time i felt it and swiped it off, knocking the behemoth vermin to my bed. it was only stunned. i swear, someday i really will die before i wake. and that's not even to mention that CENTIPEDE story...

Snow Whiteley said...

I am so sorry for the spiders. Even if they do kill other insect vermin, their presence is still traumatizing. Especially at night when you're sleeping. I'm impressed that you can kill them with just a tissue and not a big-honking shoe.

Carina said...

noelle, you need this amazing miracle of ant killer that saved us. I had to order it online some years ago, but I think I saw it at the Orem Target last week.

I have allowed one little spider to live in the corner of my foyer because I figure it's eating all the creepy crawlys that make it through the nearly invisible front door cracks.

The other spiders...shiver.

i i eee said...

it's all about whatsthatbug.com, my friends. It's all about whatsthatbug.com.

Sorry about the spider horror.

*shudders*

Ryan said...

I'm afraid that I must lend my voice in support of spiders.

If I may reference myself: http://thedisavowed.blogspot.com/2006/02/i-just-tried-to-kill-spider.html

Carina said...

Ok, so I let that one spider survive and all of a sudden it's like an amnesty was declared: they've all came out to hang around, and I'M NOT COOL WITH THAT.