Cicada's Famous Fake Frappucinos

Pursuant to a request for my frappucino recipe:

The summer after my freshman year, I went home to Canada and saw Tim Hortons advertising their frappucinos everywhere. Although I have never drunk coffee, I love the smell of it and I love anything coffee-flavored (and yes, for the record, I do eat coffee ice cream). But I really couldn't bring myself to buy a Tim Hortons frappucino when it clearly would be made by adding milk and ice and ice cream to coffee itself.

In Canada, we have Caf Lib, which is a burnt chicory coffee substitute. So one day, I became a genius and made my own frappucino with coffee substitute. What I learned after I returned to the States, however, is that Tim Hortons's frappuccino was actually fake and made only with coffee flavoring, not with actual coffee. Still, I am glad that I learned to make them for myself. And so is Redras. We are glad together.

Cicada's Famous Fake Frappuccinos

  • Scoop several scoops of vanilla ice cream into a blender. (Use low-fat ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt to cut calories and fat.)
  • Pour a bunch of milk into the blender.
  • Throw several ice cubes into the blender.
  • Dump some coffee substitute (like Pero) into the blender.
  • Squeeze a lot of chocolate syrup into the blender.
  • Blend.
  • Taste.
  • Add any of the above ingredients you feel is necessary to improve taste. Blend till perfection.
  • Rejoice.

8 comments:

stupidramblings said...

...and VoilA! You have recoverd the lost kcalories...

Carina said...

Yay!! PERO! I can't wait to try the recipe. I've got two canisters, one for work and one for home.

I, too, love coffee flavoring.

Carina said...

p.s. You can get Caf Lib at the Good Earth markets in both Orem and East Bay, if you are particular to the brand. As for me, it's Pero all the way, Postum being such an inferior blend. I need my malted barley, chicory, and rye (not just wheat like Postum.) Curious: can you, with your self-professed cola impairments, taste the difference between the hot grain beverages?

Cicada said...

Stupid, if you read all the comments for the last post, you'd realize that I have already said that these are less then 600 calories.

Azucar, I haven't really tried different hot grain beverages. I picked up Pero at my roommate's suggestion because I didn't know the different brands here.

Carina said...

p.s. made it tonight with Pero and it was so delicious. Thank you!

i i eee said...

*drools* Sounds delish.

This reminds me of a letter this guy in my parents' ward received from the first presidency like 50 years ago -I think David O. Mckay? Anyway, this elderly gentleman in my parents' ward was a stake president in California. And a lot of people were drinking something called Sanka? I think, I don't remember the name for sure. But it was basically a decaffienated fake coffee or something like that. Anyway, he wasn't certain whether or not this drink was in accordance with the Word of Wisdom. So he wrote a letter to the first presidency about it. The letter he received back said that it was okay but the thing that made the letter so interesting was that Joseph Fielding Smith wrote in on the margin of the letter saying that even though this was the final decision the brethren had made, he personally did not agree with the rest of them! ha ha Love it! The guy showed my dad the letter, it was pretty cool.

i i eee said...

Or he said, that he agreed, but he didn't like it! Or something like that. Sorry, I'm not good at retelling these things.

Carina said...

Sanka was one of the first brands of decaf coffee.

/end knowitall