Traffic Stopper

I need a car.

This morning I had a job interview. The job is in Provo, but it is a few miles down Canyon Road. I needed a ride to my job interview because I couldn't walk because I would have shown up a sweaty, unkempt mess. I borrowed Redras's car. I said a lot of ums and ahs during my interview.

Still, they called me back for a second interview not half an hour after the first interview ended. We set up an appointment for 4:30.

Which was great except that I couldn't borrow Redras's car because she'd need it for work. So I got a coworker to drive me there.

After my job interview [insert lack of details here because I don't want to talk about it right now], the plan was that I'd call Limon and he'd come pick me up. I got out of the interview at 5:00. Limon's shift ends at 5:00. I called Limon's phone and got his voice mail. I started walking down Canyon Road.

I eventually realized that Limon might actually be working late. It took me ten full minutes to come to this conclusion. We don't get cell reception in our cement bunker. So I called my private line at work. Limon eventually answered. I asked him to come pick me up, but I knew it would take him at least twenty minutes to get to me.

I didn't mind because I'm training for a half marathon and my training today was "walk 30-40 minutes."

I continued walking down Canyon Road in my business best: a knee-length pencil skirt, a summer sweater, nylons, and nice shoes. And a briefcase.

I brought out a sweat rag because I am a head sweater (I called my mom this morning when I was getting ready for my interview and threatened to sue her for giving me the head-sweating genes). I occasionally (every twenty seconds) mopped my face and neck.

And before Limon could come get me, two cars pulled U-turns to ask if they could give me a ride. Actually, maybe I don't need a car. Perhaps if I add a limp to my sweat-mopping, I'll receive more solicitations to give me rides... Anyone want to walk with me to Salt Lake City?

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Right after I started reading the part about how you were walking down canyon road in a business suit I started freaking out about how no one was pulling over two give you a ride and how they should all go to jail for contributing to your eventual dehydration, heat stroke and death. So I'm glad someone pulled over.

daltongirl said...

Did you accept the second ride? I assume you didn't accept the first, or there wouldn't have been a second. Anyway, you should have. It is by no means certain that another offer will be made you.

Cicada said...

Of course I didn't accept the second ride! Limon was making a special trip to come and get me!

stupidramblings said...

I would have stopped to see if you need a ride, but you would have had to sit in the back seat for reasons you and I won't talk about right now.

Good luck with the job search; I'd be happy for you if you got it (if it's one you're hoping for...)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to help. Just call.

Anonymous said...

Your idea of walking to Salt Lake reminded me of something. Have you ever heard of slugging? With the new carpool lanes all the way down here to Utah County, I wonder if it would catch on around here. I think it's a funny idea. Although potentially dangerous. But probably no more so here than in suburban D.C.

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known you needed the car again. The sweaty walk home could have been avoided. Then again, that wouldn't have made for a very good story. No one says, "Poor, poor Cicada," when you tell them how you got to ride in a junky, but air-conditioned truck.

Tolkien Boy said...

I also have no car, and am needing one more and more.

Stupid transmissions.

Suzie1 said...

Haha! At work we call it "SFS"--"Sweaty Face Syndrome." I swear it's real. I'm more of a neck sweater myself. Sick.

So, did you get the job or should I not ask?

Cicada said...

The answer to the job question is difficult. I got a job offer and it's a good offer, but it's here in Provo. I really want to say yes to them but I'm leaning towards choosing to live in SLC.