Underage Educating

So I have this lit and film class. It's English 345. And there's this girl who sits in front of me, and as as I'm bored in class, I have the opportunity to stare at her and wonder how old she is. Now, I don't normally stare at classmates and wonder about their age, but this girl is a special case. It's impossible that she's older than 16. She looks 16. She dresses 16. She doesn't sound 16 when she comments in class, but dammit, she looks and dresses 16!

She wears jeans that she and her friends have written messages on. She wears flip flops that have fabric sticking out all over the place. Nothing is wrong with either of those things, but they're both juvenile. You don't see them on a university campus when EFY isn't going on.

Finally on Tuesday, I asked her how old she was. She said that she is 16. Ha! I asked how she could possibly be taking English 345, because there are pre-reqs. She said that she has been at BYU for three semesters. She started when she was 15. So she explained that she'd been home-schooled and that her family said she was too young to go off to college, so they moved to Provo with her. So yes, she was a Mia Maid when she started school. And now she can date. Oh, and then she asked me if I would please take notes for her in class on Thursday because she would be away at Girl's Camp.

On Thursday, I headed off to campus to attend class and take extra-good notes for my 16-year-old friend. Only on my way there, an old Zone Leader called me and said that he and his wife (my greenie) were driving through town and wanted to get together with me for lunch. Immediately. (When they called, they were about a minute away from the place where I was actually standing.) So I did what anyone would do. I skipped class and went out with my friends who were visiting from out of town.

When I told this to my mother, she was appalled that I would not do my duty towards this sweet 16-year-old. I told my mom that I was offering the youngster a chance to grow up. Fast.

(Okay, so I feel bad, but really. I wasn't going to miss going out with my old mission buddies just to take notes in class. I'm sure that someone else took notes.)

1 comment:

Carina said...

I can't believe you've gone 14 hours without a comment.

I remember some of my high school classmates finishing early and going to BYU. None of them turned out OK.

Maybe she's socially well-adjusted enough to handle it.

*cross fingers*