Pet Peeves

In honor of the fact that today is my half birthday, and probably because of the fact that I'm PMSing, I would like to present a list of my pet peeves. I invite no one to tell me why any of my pet peeves is irrational---I admit that every one of them may well be irrational. If you are guilty of any of my pet peeves, I invite you to seriously consider the fact that you could be very, very wrong and I could be very, very right. Here they are in no particular order:

Hymn Number vs. Page Number:

When people in church refer to hymn numbers as page numbers. They're not page numbers. They're hymn numbers.


Craip vs. Crep

The word is crepe. Yes, the word comes from French. Yes, in French, they pronounce it crep. And returned missionaries from French-speaking missions insist on pronouncing it crep instead of the anglicized version craip. And that drives me nuts because although the word came from French, it is now officially English and we have our own pronunciation. When I argue this with people, I use the example of sushi. I ask how annoying it might be if every returned missionary from Japan insisted on pronouncing the word exactly how the Japanese might pronounce it. And I make an impression that is so indisputably annoying that the crep offenders can only hang their heads in shame.

Michelangelo

The i in Michelangelo is like the i in bike. It's not like the i in sit. I hate it when people pronounce it with the short i. In an English usage class, a teacher claimed that though she knows it sounds a little affected, she pronounces it with the soft i because that's more authentic. More authentic?? The soft i sound does not even exist in Italian and most Italians would be unable to even make the sound. If you're going for real Italian, start pronouncing it Meechelangelo. But look at my above pet peeve if you want to know how stupid I think you'll sound if you do that.

Panino vs. Panini

And now to go the complete opposite way (I know that everything I write here will contradict what I just said), I hate the fact that a panini is a type of sandwich here. First of all, panini is plural. Second of all, it means sandwich. Any sandwich is a panino. It grates my freaking ears to here people say, "I want a panini."

The Extended Goodbye on IM

When I'm talking on IM, I like a quick goodbye. But some people insist on extending the goodbye with useless communication. When it's clear to me that the conversation is over, I close the window, without even necessarily saying goodbye. But some people, when you end the conversation continue it with annoying meaningless words. Like: bye, see you later, talk to you later, ok, bye, talk to you later. Now, I'm not annoyed with any of these things as a signal of the end of the conversation, but if the end of the conversation has been made clear, then any of those things is really unnecessary.

16 comments:

stupidramblings said...

It's Tsushi.

MmmmKay?

Bye...

Natalie Gordon said...

My pet peeve is cartoon animals that wear shirts but no pants. Because HELLO - if I'm only wearing ONE it's gonna be the pants. Every time.

Jenny said...

Thanks for educating me. I hope you have a great weekend! Bye! Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think it's really that contradictory to be annoyed by crep and panini. Anglicizing a pronunciation of a borrowed word is to be expected, but borrowing a word and then butchering its morphology is another matter entirely.

One says, "I realize this word is foreign, but I'm going to pronounce it like it's English," while the other says, "I don't know what this word means, but that's not going to stop me from using it."

Nemesis said...

Okay, see, the panini thing. It's a pressed grilled sandwich in England, too. And in France. And probably everywhere else but Italy. Might not be much that can be done about that one.

Jordy said...

I hate it when guys don't where belts with suits.

Jordy said...

sorry I typed where instead of wear...

Lindsay said...

You don't know me, but I'm pretty sure I want to be like Cicada when I grow up. You tell the most fabulous stories -- your blog is great fun to read. Anyway, I second the hymn number/page number problem. It bothers me, too. It also bothers me when people sing up tempo hymns v e r y v e r y s l o w l y.

Anonymous said...

Next time I'm the pianist in church and Brother 1st Counselor says "page 3" for "Now Let Us Rejoice," I'm going to innocently start playing the second half of "The Spirit of God," since that's what's really on the third page of the hymnbook.

daltongirl said...

So THIS is how you choose to tell me you hate me? Fine. You could at least have asked if I was being silly when I said crep or Mick-elangelo. Because I was. I guess it's too late now. Bye. So long. Talk to you later. brb.

And I don't think "sushi" was the right word for you to use as an example. If you didn't hate me, you might have consulted me on that. Sushi is pretty much just pronounced like it looks. "Kamikaze" or "karaoke" on the other hand, would have been excellent examples of words that we pronounce totally differently than the Japanese. Just FYI. So . . . I'll IM you later, okay? After you're done with the PMS. Bye again.

ambrosia ananas said...

Sheesh. That's the last time I request a new post when you're PMSing. But I'm only guilty of maybe up to 1.5 of those things, and you'll noticed that I don't do it around you. I only do harmless, unannoying things like rattle plastic bags while you're sleeping.

bedelia said...

I want to know why whoever produced the hymn book decided to confuse the whole world and number the hymns. Why can't it be like every other book and have page numbers?

Anonymous said...

i immediately checked all of our conversations on gmail to see how i ended them, hoping desperately that they had ended appropriately. phew, they did. this is dirtbag by the way. i guess i can just congratulate myself on being able to read your pet peeves without your actually having to post a pms-inspired blog.

Carina said...

Panino, got it.

I already say Meechelangelo (I'm so cosmopolitan.)

I've give you the craip, but I'm keeping the crep in crep suzette.

Sara said...

Even we "snooty" French majors say "craip" when speaking English...just a thought.

Cicada said...

I have heard lots of French majors who never served missions (like my roommate) say crep. It's affected and it's wrong. So very wrong.