Bush's Best Buddy

Yesterday, I noticed that a friend's tagline on Google Talk was "George Bush called me." Knowing her to be one who changes her tagline several times a day to various sentences that are usually inside jokes with other friends, I assigned no value to her statement.

When I got off work, I realized that at some point during the day, I'd missed a phone call. It was from "No Number" but there was a message. So I listened to the message. And it was George Bush. I'm dead serious.

Well, it was a recorded message from George Bush, telling me to vote for Chris Cannon. I don't know how he got my number. I don't have a Utah number and as far as I'm aware, I'm not a registered voter anywhere [gasp!].

Did anyone else receive a phone call from George Bush? And does anyone know how I managed to make it to the list of people he calls? I can't help but think that if only I used Quest for my phone service, none of this would have ever happened.

Later in the day, I checked my friend's tagline again. It was changed to "I wonder if my phone is tapped now." Dear friends, as I now wonder the same thing, I urge you to be careful what you discuss with me when you call.

12 comments:

Natalie Gordon said...

I didn't get the phone call, probably because I live in the First Congressional District (Motto: You thought Chris Cannon was whacked? Well, meet Rob Bishop!).

But I do get a very nice Christmas card from President Bush (Conversational Ice Breaker: Hey, you're from Utah? I just found out there's a state named Utah. They have cannons there. Have you ever seen a cannon? I like cannons.)

And I also get a Christmas Card from Orrin Hatch (Motto: Hey, I don't suck as much as Rob Bishop).

And I get a card from Bob Bennett (who I actually like. But my dad, the sociopath, thought he was Deep Throat. I mean my dad thought Bob Bennett was Deep Throat, not that he, himself, was Deep Throat. Because that'd just be too weird, even for my family).

Sara said...

My family's phone was tapped a couple summers ago...by none other than the Secret Service...due to the impending visit of George Bush...it was weird. But, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Carina said...

A couple people here at work got the call, not I. Bush heard all the nasty things I was saying OUTLOUD AND ON THE PHONE and decided I wasn't worth the bother. Well, not Bush, I'm not sure if he knows which end of the receiver is the business end. Someone, I'm not naming names, knew that I was talking smack.

Plus, I was already voting the way El Presidente wanted me to, which made me so sad. I will not recover for sometime. The fact that I didn't actually get to cast my vote for Cannon (closed primary) has not loosened my bands of despair.

daltongirl said...

I didn't get the call either, because I put Dubya on my "do not call" list. I was so sick of him calling me all the time. I mean, they put you in the Oval Office for a reason, dude. Run the dang country yourself, and quit asking me to answer all the hard questions.

But my poll worker buddy got the message. I got to hear it. Somethin' else.

Limon said...

When you start worrying about the Repulican-ness of Utah, you know you're party's in trouble.

i i eee said...

Someone at my work got the call too.

Laura said...

I got one too

Th. said...

.

"When you start worrying about the Repulican-ness of Utah, you know you're party's in trouble."

This was just the primary wasn't it? Who was up against him that was so scary?

Carina said...

This guy. He's a riot!

Anonymous said...

Talk of the devil in the devil's own rag. That's rich.

erin said...

I got a "call" from George Bush, Laura Bush, Chris Cannon's wife, and somebody else...maybe Govenor Huntsman, I can't remember. I don't know where they all get my numbers either, and I'm also on the Do Not Call registry.

My family got a Christmas card from the President last Christmas. We thought it was great.

Natalie Gordon said...

FYI - the politicians - who are supposedly representing us - left calls from politicians (and charities) allowable under the do not call registry. I'm not complaining too much - except now the carpet cleaning people feel they have to come to my door at 9:55 instead of calling during dinner.