SUCK FM

I hate radio. I've had Clicky for almost a week now and Clicky's CD player is broken. So the only way for me to listen to music right now is to listen to the radio. And I really, really hate radio.

First of all, there's the talking. On my way to a job interview Tuesday morning, I turned the radio on. There were three hosts talking about the time when one host called another host whose young son answered the phone. These three hosts were laughing as they told this story that was funny to no one uninvolved in the story. And it wasn't even interesting. Not remotely. And yet, they continued to babble on and on and on about this host's phone call answering and screening habits. Why on earth would I want to listen to that? I changed the channel.

Second of all, there's the channel changing. Currently, Redras is flipping through the television channels while our program is in commercials. This drives me nuts. I'm a muter, not a flipper. I also hate flipping radio channels. You flip to a new channel only to catch the tail end of a song you actually wanted to hear and by the time you flip back to your original channel, you catch the tail end of a song you actually would have liked to hear. And so I am stuck listening to radio commercials.

Third of all, there's the radio commercials. It is a truth universally acknowledged that radio commercials suck. I've noticed a few different ads lately are scripted phone calls. In fact, the other day I heard three scripted phone calls in a row. So not only do I get to hear the radio hosts talk about their phone habits, but I also get to hear fake phone calls that try to sell me something. (And man, I could really go for some pastrami right now... or a burger... or pastrami... If you actually listen to radio, too, you'll know what I'm talking about.) And as I sit and listen to the commercials, I wonder if it's really worth it to listen to the annoying commercials just to listen to a bit of music.

Lastly, there's the music. Although radio DJs have millions of songs to choose from, they don't. They choose from a select few. Of course, you hear the latest music (by the way, a lot of the latest music sucks right now) but any radio station that plays "Lump" by the Presidents of the USA two days in a row cannot even pretend to be broadcasting a variety of music.

So you put up with the talk and the commercials for what ultimately? For the slight possibility that maybe they'll play a song that maybe doesn't make you want to drive your car off a cliff.

I can't wait to regain control over what I listen to.

Jordy, my family is visiting in SLC, so I've spent a lot of time driving back and forth (listening to crappy music) between SLC and Provo. Also, I'm getting to the end of the term, so I'm doing a lot of homework. That's where I've been. I'll try to do better.

22 comments:

Cicada said...

Sakhmet, I know that as a raging democrat it's basically my duty to love and support NPR, but I don't! Is that terrible?! I just can't stand listening to people talk! I can handle listening to episodes of This American Life as long as I have control over which episode I listen to. Otherwise... I basically just hate radio. I'm sorry! So sorry!

Tolkien Boy said...

My car's CD player is also broken, but unlike your car he only gets one radio channel, the "classic country" station. Ah, the hits and near-misses of the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

DanaLee said...

Didn't you recently post about getting an Ipod as a free gift? When you get your new job, use the first paycheck to buy the car adapter. It's fabulous! Just plug in and go--no talk, no commercials, and only the songs you have selected. Completely changed my life for car travel.

Cicada said...

TB: You have a car again?

Danalee: Yep. That's pretty much exactly what I said I'd do in my post about the free iPod.

Anonymous said...

Re: NPR
It's actually your duty as an intelligent person to listen to it. Not just as a Democrat. It's not as slanted as people like to make it out to be. Plus, there's music in between the "talk" pieces. And there's Diane Rehm! You've got to love Diane Rehm.

Re: Pastrami & burgers
They have both at Burger Supreme. You can get a Pastrami Burger. Just thought you should know.

Anonymous said...

Tell us this isn't genius:

Lump lingered last in line for brains
And the ones she got were sorta rotten and insane
.

Mary said...

Just get on outta my brain, Cic. I have felt this way about radio, EXACTLY this way, for some time now. Why on EARTH would I want to hear DJ's talk about themselves? All morning? Allllll morning?!

Jenny said...

Talking on the radio makes me want to puke. Especially NPR. I immediately get a headache and really hot and feel like I'm going to be very ill. I feel your pain Cicada. Also, I thought there was nothing worse than Utah radio where they have THREE people talking at once, but then I moved to South Florida. OH. MY.GOSH.

bedelia said...

I own that Presidents CD and I haven't heard it in literally years. Why would anyone play that on the radio? Second, I just started muting instead of flipping and it is truly great. It doesn't work so well in a car though. we are getting a key account if you want us to use you for a reference give thedisavowed a call so you can get ahold of us so we can use your reference card.

Nemesis said...

I'm trying to think of the last time I actually listened to a radio, but I sort of can't. It has probably saved me a lot of frustration.

Yay for NPR!

Emily said...

(Wow. Those were really smooth transitions.

I felt so...prepared for each paragraph.)

I really don't like the radio either. I haven't listened to it since I got back in March. I don't miss it at all.

Carina said...

91.7 KOHS (The Orem High School Radio Station) The DJs are so new and nervous that they announce the name of the song and that's IT. Commercials consist of one public service announcement (would it kill to to hear a suggestion to plant a tree? NO.)

They will play any song immediately upon request if they have it.

KOHS is the best kept secret.

Only a couple drawbacks: They are off the air from June until mid-August. Their signal doesn't extend into the SL Valley (another reason for you not to move.) Sometimes on Friday nights they broadcast the Orem Tiger's Football or Basketball games.

Really, they'll play any request immediately.

Carina said...

(I am an NPR junkie. Can't listen to a regular morning show; must learn something. This American Life rawks.)

i i eee said...

I don't even bother listening to the radio unless it's NPR. If my CD player wasn't working, I. would. die.

Utah radio truly really sucks. What I wouldn't give for a station like KEXP Seattle. At least I can stream that in from my computer. You should try doing that while you're doing your homework. Love that station.

kellyroxanne said...

dirtbag here. for the first time in my life i have a cd player in my car. until then i would cruise around in my 77 cadillac with its broken 8-track player (trust me, if it weren't broken, i would have been much better off!) and listening to the crap they play on the radio. and then i did it in my 90 honda accord with the broken tape deck. so i, again, totally feel your pain. now i actually have a cd player. luckily when my car got broken into again for the second time in 6 months, they were too stupid to steal it, and i still have it. life is so much better now. just wait for that ipod!!!

Jordy said...

I don't care much for NPR. It's comparable to watching the news on PBS. However, I do agree that they have some decent stuff on there sometimes. Any radio station that will play a piece on Sufjan Stevens deserves some good credit in my book.

FoxyJ said...

I hate radio for all those same reasons. I also don't really like NPR either. You need to listen to what I listen to: 90.9 KRCL. It's public radio, but they mostly play music (they do have a few fun programs occasionally like "Now Queer This"). And, they don't have any commercials. And they play cool eclectic music that commercial stations don't. You can check out their website at www.krcl.org if you want to know more.

OK, now my commercial is done. I hate listening to the radio too, so I feel your pain. At least you aren't married to someone who listens to books on CD so everytime you turn on the car something like "Reading Lolita in Tehran" comes booming out of the speakers.

Michael Paul Bailey said...

I second the motion of NPR. How can you not be more than pleased with such shows as This American Life, A Praire Home Companion, Car Talk, and All Things Considered.

Anonymous said...

I never listen to the radio in the car anymore, and I recently bought a CD alarm clock so that I don't have to listen to it in the morning, either. My quality of life has improved dramatically.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered 88.1 FM. I'm not really sure what it is or who runs it, but they play an interesting mix of music that is completely free of annoying pop and there aren't ever any ads or even any public service annoucements. I think I heard them say their call letters once, but I that was it as far as interruptions. The downside is that I get poor reception, but that could be the truck's fault.

daltongirl said...

The thing about NPR is, if you don't feel like listening, you can tune out and just let the words flow over you. And you can be comforted in the fact that those words aren't going to be inane, sucking the intelligence right out of you while you are tuned out. In fact, you might subconsciously absorb something great. It's CONSTANT VIGILANCE with those other talking people. Maybe that's why you don't like talking.

Ninon said...

I am adjusting to NPR after leaving the CBC. I still miss the CBC, but am learning to actually like instead of just tolerate NPR. I do enjoy "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me."

But I HATE, HATE, HATE the Diane Rehm show. Hate it.