Crystal Ball

Does anyone have a crystal ball I can borrow? I am starting to think that life's decisions will be easier to make if I can actually see my future. So here's what's going on:

El Senor bought a condo in SLC. It has two rooms and my room has a 16-foot walk-in closet. That's 16 feet, folks. That's longer than my front room, and the fact that I'm hosting a party in my front room tomorrow means that I could actually host parties in my closet (although now that I think about it, I may not want to advertise for an "in the closet party"...).

Unfortunately, I interviewed for a job in Provo (note: Provo is not SLC). When I sent in a resume to the job, I was just applying to all jobs in the Provo-SLC area that I found online, and El Senor had not yet purchased my 16 feet of closet real estate. When the job called me back, I figured I'd probably just go in for the interview for a little bit of practice in interviewing.

So I went to the interview. And the morning's interview went okay, I thought, but I felt that I said a lot of ums. But within a half hour of my interview, two of my references (thanks girls) called me back to say that they gave me glowing references, and then the job called back to invite me for a second interview with the CEOs.

Here's where things get difficult. They weren't so difficult because the pay for the job was a lot lower than I am shooting for, so I would just use pay as an excuse to turn down the job if it was offered to me. But the job had other perks. Like a four-day work week and four weeks' paid vacation. My friends, I'm not going to get four weeks' paid vacation anywhere else.

And things got more difficult when I went back and met with a few other potential coworkers/supervisors/CEOs and I realized that I really---I mean really---liked these people. Oh, and forget the fact that the job was basically everything I was looking for because it combined writing, editing, design, French, and Italian. It doesn't actually get better than that, does it? Oh, and the fact that I'd be integral in the production of a worldwide publication, which wouldn't look half bad on future resumes.

And things got even worse when they asked me what my concerns about the job were and I told them that my concerns were location and compensation---I wanted to move to SLC and get out of Provo, and I expected higher compensation than what they were offering. And then the CEOs left the room to discuss my compensation. Yikes! And they came back and made me a higher offer.

But I just kept on thinking about that 16-foot walk-in closet...

I told them I needed till Tuesday to make up my mind and today, I finally made up my mind. I do actually need to get out of Provo. I'm ready for a new city for my new phase of life. So I called today to let them know. And when I talked to one of my interviewers, she was so nice and said she understood, and that she had thought I'd turn down the offer actually because I would be so tired of Provo and I'd need to get away. She was right. But then she was so kind and told me that I interviewed very well and had great talents, so she was sure that I'd be able to find employment up in SLC. But that if I changed my mind, to give them a call. And I let her know that the decision was really hard to make (because it was---great coworkers, long weekends every week, four weeks' paid vacation...). And we left on good terms.

So now, I just need to dream about my new condo and wonder how much money it's going to take to buy my list of needs...

I need:
  • a sewing machine
  • a 20-inch iMac with Adobe CS2
  • a couch
  • a closet organization system
  • a 32-inch flat panel television
  • TiVo
  • a new bicycle (a cruiser)
  • an FM transmitter for my mp3 player b/c I think that Clicky's CD player is broken
  • car insurance
  • new clothes (to fill my closet)
  • other hip furniture for the condo
  • a surround sound system

12 comments:

Braden said...

You don't have a 32-inch flat-screen TV yet? How do you live?

Anonymous said...

I did almost the same thing as you, but I didn't have a job offer. I moved to SLC after graduation excited about the chance to move out of Provo. Four months later I ended up getting a job in Provo...at BYU. I hope you much better luck than I did. At least you know you're employable. If Clicky has a tape deck, you can purchase a tape stereo thingy (I have no idea what's technical name is) and link it to you ipod. I got mine at Target for $20.

Jenny said...

You should email me about CS2. I have good news my friend.

Cicada said...

The FM transmitters don't cost much at all, actually. I'm looking at one for about $24. (Clicky doesn't have a tape deck.)

I also need to add to my list sports headphones. I went running last night and my headphones shocked my ears.

stupidramblings said...

I called Miss Cleo to impersonate you and ask her what you should do. She seemed to vacilate a lot and all I got out of her were 'ums' and 'aaahs'. Then she asked me to hold. After about fifteen (15) minutes I started to think she wasn't coming back. Another fifteen (15) minutes went by and I was starting to wonder if she was really on the other end so I looked at the screen to my cell phone to make sure the call was still connected.

After another half hour (hour/2) I started to get really T-O-ed because she was wasting my minutes. That's when I hung up.

Boy, you know you've got it bad when you look to the future to make a decision and the future has a rough time with the decision too...

Natalie Gordon said...

I am not meaning to be any more offensive than usual, but here goes - YES! You DO need to get out of Provo! Because Provo is a weird place. I was very happy there until I was about 23 or 24. And then I started feeling really claustrophobic. Like the walls were moving in on me. So, we ran. Yes, we ran to Sugarhouse. And then Murray, Downtown and now NSL. I love it up here. I hope you will, too. And, I think you should write a post about all your skills, and then those of us in the SL area could get it to our friends who may know of available jobs in your field. Networking, my friend. That's what it's all about (and you thought it was the Hokey Pokey.)

Anonymous said...

If you do happen to find a crystal ball, Cicada, remember to let me have a peek.

daltongirl said...

Have you seen our surround sound system? Dang. It's awesome. Daltonboy can fix you up real good. And real cheap. And real . . . not so hip looking.

I'm on the job re: the couch and other hip furniture. Clothes--you're on your own.

Tolkien Boy said...

Wow. Employers love you.

I mean, it's not a surprise, because - gosh, everyone loves you, but wow. Last interview I had, the interviewer peered at me over her glasses and said disgustedly, "You're male, aren't you?"

I'm recovering, but slowly.

(and thrilled for your remove to SLC. Happy condoing!)

Jordy said...

GET OUT OF PROVO!

gumball said...

(The following message is best appreciated if read while imagining the hypnotic and sly snake Kaa from Disney's "The Jungle Book")

...ssstay in Provo, CCCicada
...ssstay in Provo
...It'ss the besst

Anonymous said...

Four-day work week? Four weeks' paid vacation? It sounds to me like you could work in Provo and chill in Salt Lake on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and 20 other days of your choice. Call 'em back!