Road Rage

I think that quite possibly road rage is one of my biggest pet peeves. And I'm not even talking about the dangerous out-of-control road rage. I'm talking about general anger and frustration that people feel when they drive. It really bothers me as a passenger to hear a driver complain about other drivers or get angry at others on the road.

I don't get angry when I drive. Take today for example. I was listening to the radio of course---I'm always listening to the radio in my car---and I was singing along to "Hey There Delilah," which is a nice, mellow song. And as I was driving up the I-15, minding my own business, a car almost merged into me. Then he zipped ahead slightly and cut me off, causing me to slam on my brakes. I am fairly sparing with the horn but I felt that he deserved a little blast, so I honked at him, all the while singing "Hey There Delilah." And then I saw him flip me off as he zoomed forward and started zipping in and out of traffic ahead of me. Through it all, I was singing "Hey There Delilah" and although I had some pleasant thoughts of this man possibly being pulled over by the police, I didn't think much more about the incident.

When I drive with other people I get very uncomfortable as they complain about other drivers. People yell at their fellow drivers even though they know the drivers can't hear them---they just need to voice their frustration, I guess. People complain to everyone in the car about the other drivers on the road. People call out the driving decisions that the other cars should be making. And really, it's always uncomfortable and unpleasant for me as a passenger. It's like one-sided contention. I feel that very little of what happens out on the roads and freeways is rage-worthy. As we drive along we should all be aware that we're making decisions that perhaps other drivers are unhappy with, and we can be forgiving of drivers on the road who are making decisions that we disagree with. There's no need to complain loudly or get frustrated about it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I would have gotten mad at the situation you described, I usually don't get upset about many of the things people get upset about while driving. I think it would have been the flipping-off that would have done it for me.

By the way, I like the makeover, and when do you start your new job?

Cicada said...

Thanks for your comment about the makeover, Brinestone! I was working at that all evening yesterday while I should have been editing Nemesis's thesis. I even got a little help from your husband.

I start the new job on Tuesday. I am so excited.

Michael Paul Bailey said...

I don't get angry at other drivers, so much as a get disappointed. I can excuse bad driving. We are all bad drivers now and then. I consider myself a good driver (who doesn't), but I completely cut some guy off by accident the other day. What bothers me is inconsiderate driving. When people do things that are just completely disrespectful, then that really irks me, even when it's not done to me.

The worst though, is when you are in a car with someone who is complaining about other people's driving, but is a horrible driver themselves. I'm never sure what to say.

Anonymous said...

Back when I was about 17 or 18, I made a conscious decision to try to be less annoyed and frustrated by other drivers. I really hated hearing my brother complain about all the jerks on the road—spreading the negativity wasn't doing any good.

I was surprised at how easy it was to just let it go and not care when someone tailgated me or cut me off. Unfortunately, then I moved to Provo, and the terrible driving there made me an irritable driver again. I've been working on returning to my previous zen-like calm while driving, but I'm not back to where I was before.

I like the new look, too. I have a couple comments, if you don't mind. I think a little more white space would be good (or pale green space, if you will), and the cartoon pictures will look better as GIFs instead of JPEGs.

Anonymous said...

Okay, what the crap is Blogger Beta's problem? I keep putting my web address in along with my name, and it keeps leaving out the link.

Cicada said...

SB: Thanks for your comments on the site. I'll email you for further discussion.

Laura said...

where are all you living in this perfect driving world. If I have a flaw......it is road rage. Of course I am a perfect driver, it's everyone else that is out to get me i swear. When I tell my driving stories to people they alway say Only you Laura. So maybe iweird things only happen to me I don't know. But what I am trying to say, Road rage is an okay thing.It's a good way of getting all of that bottled up feelings out on somebody you most likley don't know, and they never know what you called them anyway. that's what I call killing two birds with one stone!!

Natalie Gordon said...

I try to remember - How Would Jesus Drive? But I do get really mad at people that use the stupid high-frequency lanes as passing lanes - I'm not an idiot! I can see that you only have one person in your car! And, you don't have one of those fancy stickers that let you drive there without carpooling (because, if we can't save the environment, we might as well make money, huh?) And you're not supposed to cross the double white line, you big freaking spazz! WAIT FOR THE HATCHED LINE!!!

So,yeah... I'm still working on it. But I might be getting better. I no longer yell at everyone at the stupid intersection where State St. meets S. Capitol Drive (but who is the ginormous moron that designed an intersection with 2 stop signs, a yield sign and a lane coming up a hill that no one can see that is full of cars where the drivers never signal and they can do anything they want? IDIOTS!).

So, yeah. Road rage = BAD.

Anonymous said...

I think the rules of the road are more like guidelines, anyway. Can't we all just get along? Give peace a chance.

N.F. said...

Love the new look!

Katria said...

I admit it. I felt a twinge of guilt. Generally, though, I'm pretty calm. And if I make a comment about another driver, I feel guilty (most times) and add something to it that I REALLY could use improvement in. I mostly only have issues when someone about kills me because they didn't check their blindspot.

Really like the new look. I got here and I was like, "Wow! A new look!" No, really.

ambrosia ananas said...

And I, on the other hand, feel no guilt at all.* Griping at other drivers allows me to vent. Riders disgruntled or otherwise disturbed by my behavior are welcome to utilize public transit.



*or at least very, very little