The Breakup

I apologize if I'm somewhat out of sorts today. You see, I broke up with my boyfriend last night.

I know, I know, none of you knew I had a boyfriend. Let me explain. I didn't want to say anything on the Internet for fear of sharing information that was too personal. But now that things are over I feel I can use the Internet as a tool to sort through my feelings of utter heartbreak... or not really remotely of heartbreak at all.

It all started two weeks ago when I had a storage container delivered to my home. I won't mention the company, but you know these places that deliver storage containers and then store them for you and then deliver them to your new home? Well it was one of those sorts of things. The guy---we'll call him WTB (B=boyfriend, T=trash, and I won't tell you what W is, but it's a color)---called me at 6:40 a.m. to confirm the delivery of my container. I thanked him kindly and I did not go back to sleep.

He arrived promptly at 8:00 and I watched the whole ordeal of getting the container off the truck and into my driveway. It was pretty impressive and when WTB asked if I was watching to make sure he was doing it right I assured him that I was only watching to see how it was done. When WTB was done, he waved goodbye and left.

WTB returned that Saturday to pick up my container. I waved to him when he arrived, but a hired handyman arrived at our apartment at the same time, so I went to take him through the house to show him any problems. WTB called out to me, "You're not going to stick around?" I assured him that I was just going to show the handyman into my house so that he could get started on his work.

When WTB was finished loading the storage container onto his truck, he came to talk to me, as if goodbyes were somehow in order. He came, I said, "Welp. Thanks!" and he still stood there so I said, "Do you work in Salt Lake City, too, or just in Provo?" He said, "Oh, I work in Salt Lake, too." I said, "Maybe I'll see you there next week, then." He said, "Oh, I hope so." We shook hands and then I waited for Redras to get home so that I could tell her that I thought WTB had a crush on me.

This past Saturday, WTB brought my storage container to my new house. He maneuvered it into the parking lot and when he was done, came up to me. He said, "Can I ask you a question without you getting all offended or thinking I'm being unprofessional or anything?" I gave him permission and he said, "Can I take you out sometime?" And I looked at his little goatee and his earring and of course I said yes, because he had just done what apparently all BYU males are incapable of doing.

I thought it was a cute story and I really had no intentions of things going anywhere. I figured we could go on a date and it would either be mediocre or miserable and we'd end it there. On Sunday he sent me a text message. I should have known that things were soon going to come to an end when I was more annoyed than excited to receive a text message from him. Nevertheless, we had a text message conversation strung out over a few hours. He asked if he could take me out on Thursday. I still said yes.

Yesterday this texting continued until I told him that I didn't have unlimited texts and that our conversations were getting expensive. He said that he would pay me back for all my text messages and then called to ask if he could stop by my place on his way home from work. Because El Senor was home with me, I said that he could.

And what can I say? He came and immediately upon seeing him, I thought, "Crap, what have I gotten myself into?" But we sat down on the couch and had an awkward conversation (in which I found out that he's five years younger than I am) and then he invited me to go for a walk with him. I stayed within our gated community and kept one hand on my phone and the other hand in my pocket. During our romantic walk around my complex, I did my best to let him down gently. He was full of hopes about our future and I was full of hope that I could make our future as short as possible. I pointed out that I felt we had nothing in common---at all. He countered with "Well, what kind of music do you like?" I mentioned Modest Mouse, Death Cab, The Postal Service, and Dashboard Confessional. He'd heard of maybe two of those. So I guess we couldn't fall back on music to be something we had in common, either.

When I mentioned that he described himself as kindof LDS but I would describe myself as very LDS he promised me that for me, he would start going back to church. I couldn't help but wonder why he was already so attached to me. I mean, we'd had minimal interaction and he'd only ever seen me in basketball shorts and a bandana. What could he possibly be attached to?

When it came right down to it, I told him that we had nothing in common and I couldn't see us going anywhere. He said that we just needed to get to know each other better. I told him that the fact that that didn't sound exciting to me at all was a good indicator to me that I wasn't really invested in this relationship. He asked if that meant that Thursday was off. I said yes. He asked if we could hang out sometime as just friends. I said no. He asked if he could walk me to my door. I said yes because El Senor was home. He walked me to my door, we shook hands, and that's where it all ended.

And really, I felt like crap because I probably shouldn't have said yes to his invitation in the first place. Whereas a simple "no" to his asking if he could take me out sometime would have hurt a little, telling him that I wasn't excited by the idea of getting to know him probably was a lot more hurtful.

Now comes time for the discussion part. See, I didn't want to say no when he originally asked if he could ask me out because I felt that his bravery in asking me out should be rewarded. Instead, now I feel that the way I did things ended up punishing his bravery more severely. So what is the best thing to do when you're asked out by a guy you know you're probably never going to be interested in? Just say no? Give it a chance? I'd love feedback and discussion here.

24 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

I don't think it's giving false hope to agree to go on one date (or, in your case, to go on a single walk around the complex). Give a guy that much of a chance, then if you're not interested, say no to the next invitation.

As a disclaimer, I have relatively no experience with the whole dating thing, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

stupidramblings said...

One date is cool. I think you would owe it to a courageous soul to go on ONE date (as long as you are not frightened for your safety.) But he already spent the one date by having relationship-quality/duration contact with you before the alleged date was even to happen. I think he used his one date up after about the first hour of textual conversation.

After that much contact with someone, I think 'owing' (as in to owe) ends after sufficient contact to either affirm or deny any potential sparks that might indicate an attraction.

Leading someone on is more hurtful than saying no in the first place, but I don't think you led him on. I think you accepted an invitation--which he used up whether he likes it or not--and then you declined further invitations.

Good for you.

And Death Cab? I haven't heard of DC either, but one of the guys in my Fantasy Football league is named Death Cab and he's a total HEEB...

word verification: eprkx--which I assume is short for 'electronic prkx.'

stupidramblings said...

OK, so G (me) is stupidramblings, but beta.blogger.blahblahblah isn't displaying my proper name and/or profile correcly. Ima hafta write them a letter and send it Snail Mail. I wonder if they'll know what to do with a letter that comes on paper over there at the interweb headquarters...

stupidramblings said...

And now it says 'stupidramblings' again. Stupid.

Anonymous said...

Rather than offer some useful or thoughtful advice, I will instead paraphrase one of the great infamous philosophers of the Renaissance:

You "ought not to mind the reproach of cruelty; because by making an example of a few, [you] will be more merciful than those who, through too much mercy, allow [hopes and dreams] to arise, from which follow [actual emotions of love and affection]. These last injure the [poor schmuck, leaving him scarred for life], while those executions [or rejections] . . . offend the individual only [temporarily].

(With apologies to Mr. Machiavelli for the artistic license I have employed herein.)

Nectar said...

If you were my daughter, here is the fatherly advice I would give you.

Listen to your feelings. Probably the earings and goatee clued you in at the start that a romantic relationship with this guy at this time was not a reality. At times the Spirit will let you know that someone not living the standards of the church might have potential, but absent a revelation from God, you are better off not starting something with him. I'm not saying you can't be friends with him, but his request of being friends smells like an attempt to get around your decision not to date him.

His whole behavior seems obsessive and unreasonable. There was something creepy about it. Rather weird.

In general I would say don't be judgmental about a person's potential as a future boyfriend or spouse. There doesn't have to be "sparks" or a great deal of attraction at first. He doesn't have to look like the most handsome man you have ever met. He can be awkward, shy, reserved, or socially inept. You may be tempted to just say no to those sorts of guys. But he needs to be someone you can respect and look up to in many ways. If that is present, I'd say give it a chance.


I would suggest that you should not have agreed to go out with him in the first place, but having done so was not wrong. I believe you did the right thing to break it off when you did. He had his chance.

As a side note, I'm sorry that the guys at BYU are so timid nowadays. I was very shy and reserved when I was at BYU, yet I made it a point to have at least one date a week, and very often to a different girl each week. I was never a guy that a girl would write home about, but I almost never got turned down for dates (never for a first date). I guess times are different.

Mary said...

He's young; he's got a lot to learn.

Perhaps the "not too excited to get to know you" comment could have been edited for harshness, but few people I know have the presence of mind to be perfectly tactful under such social pressure! Please!

I think you handled it well, no real changes required says I. He got his one free pass at you, but he blew it all on texts. That's not your fault. Maybe thanks to you he'll know now to reign it in a little for his next conquest.

Jordy said...

Say no to bad dates...

Jenny said...

Just say no! Yay for him having the courage and stuff, but why get his hopes up and spend his money?

Michael Paul Bailey said...

My opinion is that you should give most everyone a chance. If someone appears to be a psycho, then it might not be safe, but otherwise, I say go for it. A lot of first impressions are wrong. Go ahead and ask your friends what their first impression of you was, it's fun and sometimes a bit alarming.

Also, way to go in telling him exactly how you feel. More women need to be forthright with their feelings rather than worrying about whether they're going to hurt us. We're resilient; we'll survive.

To answer your question of whether or not you did something wrong on accepting the first date then shooting him down, I don't think so. I don't think you dissuaded him from showing courage again. If you had turned him down at first, maybe.

Carina said...

You did the right thing in accepting a date and the right thing in terminating the relationship.

What a great story! I love that he was so devoted to you, I really do. No wishy-washy about him, he saw you, wanted you, and pursued you. As much as you did not appreciate his overtures, wasn't it, just a teensy bit, fun?

daltongirl said...

W = winered?
W = wintergreen?
W = wilted rose petal pink?
W = worn-out blue jeans blue?

Help me out here.

Also, I agree with everything stupid g said, as I usually do. And the guy sounds slightly creepy and/or needy to be SO persistent in the face of your utter lack of interest. Why don't you try to find a guy who is brave enough to ask you out, but not needy or creepy or "sort of" LDS? That's what I'd recommend.

Anonymous said...

In my experience, it feels a lot better to get a clear no up-front. If a girl isn't really interested but keeps saying yes to dates anyway, then it hurts a lot more when she finally does say no.

So I'm going to be harsh and say that if you had no interesting in him from the beginning, then you shouldn't have accepted the date with him.

Natalie Gordon said...

I love this story, and I love that you have a friend who gives you dating advice from Machiavelli. Someone should write a book about that.

You behaved nobly - very poised. I am just a little worried that the WT ex-B with OCD knows where you live.

Cicada said...

Thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback. And yes, DP, I think that you should write a book of dating advice from Machiavelli.

Nectar, I think that you were very right to say "His whole behavior seems obsessive and unreasonable. There was something creepy about it. Rather weird." It was all creepy-sweet. Not exactly a good combination.

And Natgo, I also was a little concerned that he knows where I live but I figure he won't do anything because it's a gated community and he only had the code b/c of his work. So if he ever used the code to get near my house, I could call his work to register an official complaint and he'd get in a lot of trouble for misusing that. I don't think it will be a problem, but if it does become a problem, at least I have some action I can take.

ambrosia ananas said...

I admit--I was a little confused about why you'd accepted the date when you told me he had earrings. I vote with Squirrel Boy. I'm all for giving chances, but only to people who really do have a chance with you. And aren't creepy and weird.

i i eee said...

So earrings equal creepy and weird?

Cicada said...

Earrings do not equal creepy and weird. That's why I decided it would be okay to accept his invitation. I knew that the earrings wouldn't bother me so much and they certainly didn't mean that he was a bad person. But the fact that in getting to know him slightly better I found out that he wasn't at all my type... and that yes, he was a little creepy and a little weird... that's what made me turn him down firmly.

bedelia said...

I believe in first impressions and I don't believe in the "one date theory" wherein anyone asking should get a yes. Of course maybe that's why I was single in Provo for 8 years, a BYU grad and 27 before I got married. But pretty much I've decided, patience is what brings great things not saying yes.

Jenny said...

I still maintain that you don't have to go out on an obligatory date with anyone. If you did, then they wouldn't be asking, they would be telling you to go on a date.

Anonymous said...

Women need to be careful. Agreeing to go out with someone without knowing anything about him first is dangerous - even in Provo - you're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Read "A Hole in Her Soul" in the July 2006 Ensign. I personally know someone who had a similar experience. It happens, but is not publicly talked about for obvious reasons.
Good for you for eventually saying no, but keep eyes in the back of your head at all times. His behavior was weird.
And make sure your brother is watching out for you as well. Thank goodness you are living with him. It might give you an extra layer of protection.

Melyngoch said...

Why don't you try to find a guy who is brave enough to ask you out, but not needy or creepy or "sort of" LDS?

Sorry, I just have to laugh at this. What a novel idea, Cicada! Find someone who meets your most basic standards! Why haven't we all thought of this before?

(no offense, dg -- I know it's in context.)

And second the motion on earrings and goatees not being creepy. Someone who moves storage containers for a living, though, just may not be prepared for equal- yolkitude with your highly literate and overeducated little self.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I once went on a date with this girl who had a nose-ring. . . and, you know, she actually ended up being pretty cool. . . Appearances aside, you can clearly do better or at least do more "you." But like everything else that happens to you, it sure made for a good story, though.

Cicada said...

Ginsberg, I can't believe that you would lower your standards like that. Nose rings are absolutely unacceptable. Next you'll be telling me that you've gone on a date with a cross-wearing bohemian-goth mix.

And Melyngoch, of course DG was aware of what she was saying, and she and I had a good laugh about it. And yes, when I asked him "What do you think we possibly have in common," I must admit that I had a little yolktitude in mind.