Can't Afford to Be Good

I've been filling out a lot of job applications lately. Every time I fill out an application, I get to confidently check the NO box when asked if I've ever been convicted of a crime. But then, as I skip past all the portions that I don't have to fill out (specifying what crime, etc.) I take a moment to feel bad for those who have to check YES. And I wonder how they can possibly get hired if on every job application they fill out, they have to disclose that they've committed a crime and paid their debt to society.

I've been staying at Captain Fabuloso and Captain Mom's house while I'm semi-unemployed (I'm allowed to work at my old job for the next six months) and semi-homeless (El Senor and I move into the new condo on Saturday). So yesterday when the doorbell rang, I answered the door. There was a pleasant man standing a good six feet away from the door who looked like he wanted to sell me something.

He explained to me that he had made some bad choices in his life and broke the law. He had spent time in jail and now that he was released, he was trying to get work but employers do not readily employ those who have to disclose that they have been found guilty of a crime. So he was taking part in a program where he could earn work "credits" to show that he's been working hard and to give him experience he needs to find employment again. He was selling magazine subscriptions door-to-door.

I was thrilled to find out that there was a program to help him out and thrilled that I could actually do something to help. Although I have very little in the bank, I thought I could at least afford the $14 to renew my Shape subscription. I told him that I would go ahead and subscribe to Shape. He handed me a packet of papers that listed all the magazine subscriptions they offered and included an explanation of how my contribution would count as work credits for him.

Apparently I had to subscribe to six different magazines. But there was a section that said students could subscribe to three magazines and it would still count. So I thought that although I didn't have much in the bank, I would have about $50 to pay for three subscriptions (besides---I'll be employed soon anyway, right?).

So he and I sat down on the front steps of the house as I looked through all my options. We chatted about where he was from (Alabama) and about what I got my degree in (he seems to think that because I'm in publishing, I'll soon be meeting many famous people). When I came by The New Yorker on the list, I thought that maybe it was about time I started reading it, so I asked how much a subscription to The New Yorker would cost me. He looked it up and showed me: $70. That was certainly out of my price range. I asked how much my Shape subscription would cost me: $48 for a two-year subscription. Suddenly my idea of being a good person wasn't panning out so much. I explained that I had not much in the bank to get me from my current job to my next job, and that I couldn't afford one $48 magazine subscription, let alone three.

He assured me that anything I could do would help---that oatmeal was better than no meal. So I asked what I could do to help if I couldn't afford any of the subscriptions. He thought for a second as sweat dripped off his face and he said, "Could I get a coupla paper towels?" I said I'd get them right away and offered him a glass of water. "No thanks," he said. "I just got finished with the juice!" (Another neighbor had offered him juice."

I brought him out three paper towels. He wiped his face and thanked me kindly for my time. Three paper towels. That's all I had to give to the jobless ex-convict and they weren't even mine. They belonged to Captain Fabuloso and Captain Mom.

7 comments:

Claire said...

Oh my. I've had one of those "credits" people try to sell me magazines before and they are way more expensive than just ordering them online. I just got the New Yorker for $25/year. I do agree with you that it would suck to have to mark "yes" to the criminal column but I don't know if selling overpriced mags is the way to go. Good luck with your new job.

gumball said...

That reminds me of the movie Office Space.
A guy with a computer science degree fakes that he is an ex-con because it helps him sell magazine subscriptions door-to-door.

Mary said...

Oh, Cicada...what restraint you have. I envy you. Once I was the biggest idiot in the universe and spent over $100 on magazine subscriptions. I blew all my tips from the previous nigh of waiting on tables, when I couldn't even afford my rent.

At least I can gloat about my nurturing, charitable soul though.

Jenny said...

I have never actually gotten any of those stupid magazine subscriptions.

daltongirl said...

The skeptical side of me, the one that keeps reminding me that Utah is a magnet for scam artists, says not to buy the sob story, and especially not to buy the magazines.

The caring, nurturing part of me says that I am a jerk to think that. So I generally offer the nice young ex(?)-con a glass of water and some pleasant conversation and send him on his way.

With the guys that barge into your house uninvited and start spraying that cleaner all over the place, I'm not so kind.

Michael Paul Bailey said...

I was talking with someone about this problem the other night actually. I sadly don't have an answer. The problem is that ex-cons can't get jobs very easily so they have a tendency to head back into crime.

On the other hand, as an employer, I would rather hire people who have never been convicted of any crime. I don't know if I'd want someone working for me who has been convicted of theft.

I don't know what the answer is. I wish I did.

Natalie Gordon said...

I had an educational-book-seller come to my door last week. He said he was from Ukraine (they don't call it THE Ukraine in the Ukraine). I guess his limited understanding of the English language explains why he ignored the beautiful homemade "no soliciting" sign. He apparently doesn't understand time, either, because he said it would only take two minutes, and it took twenty. I did not buy the books, but I listened to his whole speil. I can't say that listening makes me a good person, because after a few minutes, I kept picturing his head exploding. It's a good thing for him that I've lost my magic powers.