Sugar Free

So this time last year, I had the diabetes. In fact, I think I remember it being around the 26th of October maybe. Right in time for Halloween. And truth be told, I loved having gestational diabetes! It was a time in my life where I felt in control of what I was eating. And remember, I learned that my happiness was not in the least impacted by my limited food choices. And that's even throughout all the holidays (including my anniversary and birthday)! In fact, I was thrilled to have eating restrictions through the holidays because it meant no holiday weight gain. Hooray!

Well, while I was out in Maryland visiting my parents (prior to going to Disneyland) my mom and I were eating our way through a bag of less-than-fantastic Hershey Bliss chocolates and talking about how we have such a hard time controlling ourselves and how we're addicted to sugar. So we brought up the idea of going sugar-free through the new year. It's not that sugar is inherently bad, or that it's my only problem. It's just that I tend to binge on sugary foods much more than I ever do on other types of bad food. (I'm not a potato chip person at all.) And I'm actually really good at not buying foods that are bad for me. But I will bake foods that are bad for me, so I end up making a batch of cookies and either eating all the cookies and/or all the dough within 24 hours.

When my mom asked when we should go sugar-free, although the idea of one last binge was reeeeeally tempting, we decided that the best answer was "right now." Why not? The bag of not-great chocolate was already gone.

Well, I'm proud to say that since then (almost two weeks ago), I have been sugar-free. It's not a really strict sort of thing where I won't eat chili or ketchup and stuff like that. But basically I stay away from sugar as a general rule so that I can avoid the binge triggers. At Disneyland, I indulged in one bite of a chocolate bread pudding (that was reported to be the best ever tasted by my brother), one small serving of Coldstone low-cal frozen yogurt, and---by far my biggest "cheat"---a Dole Pineapple Whip near the Tikki Room. And you know what? If my biggest splurge in two weeks is a serving of pineapple soft serve ice cream, I can still live with myself.

I am interested to see how this works out for me. In addition to my sugar ban, I'm going to be working on portioning my food more appropriately. But knowing myself, cutting out sugar alone will be enough to get me through the holidays with no weight gain. I'm considering allowing myself a few sugar days (like our anniversary, my birthday, and Christmas) so that I don't feel like I'm missing out entirely, but to be honest, like I've said, my happiness doesn't depend on it, so why would I need sugar those days, anyway?

5 comments:

Debbie Barr said...

YAY!

I have been working on something similar, cutting out on "treats" (loose enough term that I can eat pumpkin bread or something if a day is going badly) and it's been great!

One of the hardest days I've had was when one of my professors brought in homemade sugar cookies and Krispy Kremes to class. It was dang hard. But I haven't had a doughnut or a cookie in over 2 months, and while every once in awhile I have a craving, I don't really miss it. :)

bedelia said...

oh man, I have gestational diabetes right now and I HATE it. It takes all of the enjoyment out of eating. Its like a chore. Luckily, I've got a c-section on Oct 26...right in time for Halloween. yippee.

TOWR said...

Oh man, you are my hero. I'm pretty sure my body would shut down on strike if I withheld its precious, precious tchugar. Thank you so much for admitting that you eat the whole batch of cookies--I thought I was the only one! I'm not allowed to make cookies for no reason anymore, but you wouldn't know it from looking at me. Stupid body.

Jessica said...

We went of sugar in June. Its really hard with kids. You would not believe the amount of CRAP people give kids and when I say no, they look at me like I have two heads. But the kids are really good now. We tell them if they choose not to eat the sugar than they get a treat no food related usually a movie or art stuff. They are learning delayed gratification and I am so amazed at how well they do, not perfect, but 99% of the time they don't eat it.
We also cut out all white flour that we can, it basically turns to sugar right away.

We do use agave necter, its really low on the glysimic index. Some studies have shown people who can eat 2 TBS and not raise their blood sugar. Its really sweet, so bake with it or try to use a fruit like bananas.

If you want any good "treat" idea that have no added sugar just fruit let me know. I have a few cookies and cakes that rock. You would have a hard time telling. I also make very small batches so I cannot eat them all.

The first two weeks are the hardest. I was totally addicted to salt too. I still crave salt. But its getting better. I think its easier to say, NO I don't eat that then sometimes I eat it.

KJ said...

you. go. girl.