You Go Girl

Yesterday morning, when I woke up at 5:30 (which I have to do every workday morning), I decided I was going to call in sick. I wasn't really feeling my best, and I already had a doctor's appointment scheduled, so I thought that it would be wisest to stay home and take care of myself. (Please note: Because I am married, you may start to wonder if this has anything to do with pregnancy, but I assure you, none of this is pregnancy related. Please check back next year.)

To call in sick, I had to first call my carpool. Placing phone calls at 5:30 isn't really a habit of mine, but I knew that my carpool buddy would be awake already. So I called her and told her that I wasn't coming, chatted briefly, and then ended with, "You have a good day, girl." I ended the phone call and Murray started laughing. (He's not in the habit of being conscious at 5:30.)

"That sounded lesbian," he said. I admit, I never actually call other women "girl," but my carpool buddy does, and I thought that maybe she'd appreciate something like that at 5:30 in the morning. But it meant that my husband was teasing me about sounding like a lesbian the rest of the day. In fact, he called in to work so that he could use up a vacation day before the end of the year and so that he could come to the doctor's office with me (again: not pregnancy related), which meant that he could, actually, keep teasing me about it for the entire day.

Around noon, a coworker sent me a text message asking where I was and if I was sick. I texted her back, explaining my non-pregnancy-related issue in too much detail. She wrote back, "Oh girl, that sucks!"

I read it to Murray and now I'm sure I'll never hear the end of this.

8 comments:

MTDA said...

girl, that was a funny post....I loved it girl.

daltongirl said...

I have always found you attractive.

Jenny said...

I am so excited that you are pregnant! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Remember back at IS when we called everyone "missy"? Those were the days.

The Holyoaks said...

That happened to me at Old Navy the other day. I walked up to the cashier and she said, "Hey, girl!" If I had been alone, I probably would have been able to contain the laughter but after a little snicker on my sister's part, we both lost it. I think the cashier was embarrassed and, let's be honest, she should have been.

N.F. said...

This post is freaking hilarious!






Girl...you come by my blog anytime...you hear?

Jordan said...

Now that we have been assured that your symptoms are not related to prgenancy are we allowed to guess what mystery disease you have? Anemia? Malaria? Tourettes? Probably not. Hope you feel better soon.

natali said...

i dont think girl is a word used by lesbians. its origin is more hip hop/black culture. i feel like i really understand gay slang now that i have a subaru.