Weekend Projects

This weekend has been a fun and productive one. It's been artsy and may yet prove to be a little crafty if I can find the time tonight to make our own Christmas tree decorations.

Friday evening for our date night, Murray and I went to the Beehive Bazaar. It was a little smaller than we were hoping, but there was a lot of cool stuff jam packed into the small space. I bought a glass pendant. Murray bought a cool envelope. Unfortunately, we were limited to only buy what we had cash to pay for because they accepted only cash or check (and who carries around checks anymore?).

To continue with our artsy theme, we went home and I had Murray show me how to paint images in PhotoShop. I chose three of my favorite portraits from his sketchbook (I helped with two of the three by drawing the hair styles, jewelry, and clothing) and then he taught me how to paint them. Unfortunately, I realized that it still requires painting skill (of which I have none) and an understanding of color layering and shading and light source (of which I have none). But on the positive side, I have a husband/slave who can do it all for me anyway.

(Whenever Murray apologizes for one or two manly stereotypes that he's missing---like ability to do plumbing or whatnot---I remind him that I'd rather have a man from whom I can commission any painting than a man who can fix a toilet. It's much more affordable to pay someone to fix a toilet than to pay someone to make me a painting according to my specifications.)

Without further ado, I would love to show the digital paintings that we worked on (or that he worked on while I watched---I got to pick colors though and do most of the makeup).


After completing the women on Saturday afternoon (we affectionately refer to this series as b*tches), we sent them to be developed at Costco. We picked them up an hour later, after having bought three complementary frames from Target.

We're interested in doing more stuff like this in the future but obviously you don't normally print something like this at Costco. We're looking for a printer who would be able to give us matte copies of our work. Does anyone know of affordable printers who would be able to do that?

Also, we're interested in knowing if there's a demand for this sort of thing. To gauge this, we'll sell you Costco prints of all three of these ladies for $10 if you're interested. I think that's a steal, personally. They're 4x6. Just email me at singing [dot] cicada [at] gmail.com.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought "Why are there no pictures of me?" But then I saw what you called the drawings and realized that I don't fit into that category. Whew. Good thing

i i eee said...

I like where this is going. Keep us posted on future pieces.

Do I hear an Etsy shop in the making? Bzzzzzzzzzz.

i i eee said...

By the way, I'd love to be featured in your B*tches series. Hahahahhaha!

I would definitely purchase that. ;)

lilcis said...

Are you decorating your house with these? Please post a picture, I'd love to see how you used them!

Also, can you make these from real people? I'd love to have one of myself and my husband. That would good moneymaker! To let people send you photos and then make your art from them.

n said...

i sort of think the last one is of me.

DP said...

At first I thought, "How can you buy complimentary frames?" Then Limon told me to look again at the spelling of the word in question. OHHHH.

daltongirl said...

Try Aspen Photo downtown Provo. I'm pretty sure they print on matte paper, and they're cheap. Also, unlike Costco, if you give them a print-ready file, and tell them you don't want the color altered, they'll print it exactly the way you give it to them--not the way their machine says looks better. Costco often prints way too dark.

Rynell said...

I completely concur with you: it is better to have a man who can paint for you than do regular fix-it stuff. My artist hubby prefers do print at Allens (the photo place, NOT the grocery store chain...thought I'd better clarify). Sorry I am not sure on the prices off the top of my head, but they will do a matte finish if you specify and we've been happy with their work.

Maggie said...

You are my hero! (I'm one of your RBS.) Someday I want to be as arty and crafty as you. ::sigh::

Anonymous said...

come on, blog cicada. i know you can do it!

jeri said...

Agree with Daltongirl, Aspen Photo is a great lab. Our Costco has a matte finish print option though, does yours only do glossy?

Cicada said...

Jeri,

Costco has a matte finish, but it's not a matte photo finish that I'm looking for. I want a completely matte print... I probably don't know the best terminology here... anyway, I got a couple good leads from some friends so I think we're all set.