Start Having a Good Life

Here are my reasons that I am thrilled to be in the Real World now. I wonder why I took so long to graduate---seriously, why was I afraid to move on?

Jeans Friday is better than Team-Spirit Friday. Yes, Team-Spirit Friday in which we were supposed to think that all of us wearing the same shirts was really fun and "special." Jeans are so much more comfortable and special.

Corporate meetings / parties / events: I'm coming from a job where they wouldn't spend money on a roll of double-sided tape for me. Yesterday, I spent the day at a company kick-off meeting where we had about two hours of meetings, two hours of movie-watching, and one hour of catered lunch. And although that only totals five hours, we were paid for eight. And during the meeting, we were provided with free beverages. During lunch, we were provided with, well, lunch. During the movie, we were provided with free popcorn, beverages, candy bars, and peanuts.

My own office, or my own cube, if we really want to be technical. But the point is that it's mine and it has a window. And I'm the only one in the area who has a cube, so it's not like I'm lost in a cube maze. And I get drawers in which to put fat-free fig newtons and I even brought a milk crate in to work that I can leave under my desk and use as a foot stool to put my feet up whenever I want to. This is much different from last summer when I was sitting so close to my coworkers that when they sneezed, I got wet. (No exaggeration.)

Getting paid to work out: I will never get over how cool this is.

Having a name badge that opens doors: It makes me feel so much better than all of you who can't walk in the doors I can walk in.

Employee discounts: 30 percent is a wonderful thing.

Testing merchandize: The company I work for makes handbags and brief cases and totes. The guy who designs them is a real Italian import and his office smells like leather. He has told me to stop by his office and pick up a bag that I can use and give him feedback on. For someone who already has a mild purse fettish, live doesn't get much better.

Flexibility: My previous student job could be very strict on punctuality and schedules. They said that they were preparing us for the Real World. Well, it turns out that the Real World by all accounts is much more flexible. Get in your hours. If that means you show up at 8:00, great. If that means you show up at 9:00, more power to you. Want to eat lunch at your desk and leave early? Go for it.

I love the real world. Love it. I'll love it even more next week when I get my first check. I mean, seriously, they pay me to have this much fun?

9 comments:

N.F. said...

Um, do you need an assistant?

Nemesis said...

Do they need an information technician, by any chance? Because I could get used to ALL those things.

Anonymous said...

Or another editor, perhaps? Please, save me from the wretched hell-hole that is my job.

Maybe I should just take comfort in the fact that someone is enjoying the real world, even if I am not.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of Lola's sixth grade teacher, who was "preparing her for jr. high." Turns out jr. high is WAY easier than that sixth grade gig, and everyone's happy. So aren't you glad you were tortured for six years, or whatever it was, so you can truly appreciate what you have now?

Sweet!

Kelly said...

Ummmm, do they need any merchandise testing in the DC or Boston areas? Because I would be willing to sacrifice my time and arm and shoulder space if it would help you all out. I'm giving like that.

Carina said...

It's awesome isn't it? Just wait until you get a company credit card!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you mentioned having a new job because whenever I think about you I picture you at Ironton, all sweaty but happy because you biked there (I don't know if you kept doing that, but I remember you were very excited about getting back in shape). Anyway, now I have a brand-new way to imagine you, even though I've never really seen your cube in real life. Do you bike to your cube, too?

Th. said...

.

Three posts at a time is not enough for those who have fallen behind!!!!

What has happened to your legendary generosity!!!!

Cicada said...

Th.:

You have fallen behind! I've moved the date stamp to the end of the post where it's not so obvious. If you look at the dates, you'll note that these three posts were posted on very different days. I am trying to be generous still! Give people ample time to read.... OR I'm lazy.