Flying High

I work a few miles from the airport, so I see planes coming in for landing all day as I gaze out my window (did I mention my office has a window?). They're close enough for me to determine what company they are---Southwest is the most recognizable to me because that's who I always fly with. And the more planes I see, the more I get excited for next week when I pick Switchback up from the airport.

But all this plane watching reminds me of a simpler life that I once lived. I grew up in Timmins, Ontario where we had a two-terminal airport. One room was Terminal One and the other room was Terminal Two. People left from Terminal One and came in at Terminal Two. It's a small enough city and a small enough airport that air traffic was rather limited.

We also happened to live on a hill in those days, just a few miles from the airport (almost anywhere in the city was "just a few miles from the airport"). So when we were waiting for someone to fly in, instead of keeping up on whether flights were on time, and what new time they were supposed to arrive (do flights ever come in on time), we'd just keep a watch out the window. When we saw a plane coming in to land, we'd pile into the car and drive to the airport to pick up the arriver.

I think that I can get back in touch with that simple life from my office here. I think I may just find out who Switchback is flying with and keep an eye out for the plane while I'm at work. When I see it coming in to land, then I can hop in the car and rush to the airport.

8 comments:

daltongirl said...

Every time you write "Timmins, Ontario," I read "Mr. Tumnus, Narnia." And then I think, "Wow. Cicada lived in Narnia. Cool."

And THAT is why you want ME interpreting your dreams.

Unknown said...

Well, you know, Narnia was trapped in a perpetual winter for a thousand years. . . .

Carina said...

I think "On My Way" Twain?

Cicada said...

Azucar, like, do you mean Shania Twain? Because mention that name again on my blog and I'll banish you forever...

In fact, maybe my next post should be about how I dislike Shania Twain...

Carina said...

Don't misunderstand me, I am proud to have never contributed even one penny to her royalty checks.

Still, the erstwhile Eileen has the KEY to Timmins; I thought that meant that you HAD to love her. Don't they make you purchase an album upon entry or exit from The Great White North?

p.s. Can't wait to hear why she is so hated.

Cicada said...

How have you not contributed one penny and yet know so much about her? Eileen? Key to the city? Soon you'll be telling me that you know we renamed our stupid main road "Shania Twain Way." Isn't that reason enough to hate her?

Anonymous said...

Delta around 4:55. So look for the really attractive plane.

Carina said...

Some people use their mental powers for good; others, like me, sadly use them passively to collect the detritus of popular culture.

Plus, I think VH1 ran the First Nation 'Princess' Behind The Music for the entirety of 1999, 2000, and 2001.