Sleep Music

Back in high school I worked for a lawyer who one day complained about having troubles sleeping at night. I told her that I had a mixed tape of sleep music and if I was having trouble sleeping, I just put that on and within four songs, I was asleep. She laughed at me and told me that when I was older I would have a lot more to think about at night and much more trouble getting to sleep.

I haven't listened to that cassette tape since high school but recently I was reunited with my high school stereo and decided that it was time to recreate my sleeping mixed tape. Only this time, I made it into a CD. Because I can't remember all the songs on the original CD (beyond the first four), I have had to revamp the mix a little. It's updated now and better than ever. I am pleased to announce that I have yet to stay awake beyond the second song. I guarantee you---the sequencing of the music is key to sleep promotion. Here is my play list, and I recommend it especially to Daltongirl. Oh dearest Daltongirl, your sleeping woes would be so easily cured if you just listened to my sleep mix...

1. When You Dream---Barenaked Ladies
2. I Love You---Sarah McLachlan
3. I Grieve---Peter Gabriel
4. Le ciel dans une chambre---Carla Bruni
5. Change of Season---Matthew Good Band
6. 13 anni---Tiziano Ferro
7. L'encre de tes yeux---Francis Cabrel
8. Fade Out---Radiohead
9. Douglas Mountain---Raffi
10. Chanson triste---Carla Bruni
11. Sing---Blur

Seriously though, don't pay attention to anything past song four because you'll never make it.


(Former sequencing of the first four songs was 1, 2, 5, 3.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot 'A Horse With No Name' by America. You can be assured of two things with that song:

1) It will put you to sleep due to its repetetive and boring lyrics.

2) It will still be playing when you wake up--I believe the run time is six (6) days, forty (40) minutes...

(by stupidramblings but your account is not letting me post using my user name. Grrr...)

Michael Paul Bailey said...

I used to like listening to music when I went to sleep. It wasn't for the aid in falling asleep, but rather because it was nice and peaceful. It made the times when I couldn't fall asleep more enjoyable as well.

My album of choice was "Picture Perfect Morning" by Edie Brickell. I'm quite confident that the elevators in heaven play nothing but Edie Brickell (maybe a little Rufus Wainwright).

Something else fun to try is turning on iTunes on shuffle at night. That way, when you wake up there's music playing. It's really nice.

Anonymous said...

Stupid: allow me to say that I recognized you immediately, even though you didn't announce yourself until the end of your comment.

Cicada, thanks! I will consider it if my current course doesn't work out. But since I slept something like ten hours last night, I think I may finally be onto something. I'll let you know after my nap.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried playing music to help me sleep, mostly because I'm lazy. My bedtime routine would best be described as minimalist. I consider myself successful if I change out of my clothes (plus one if I actually put on pajamas), make it to my bed, and turn off the light. If I brush my teeth, I feel super successful, and if I take out my contacts and wash my face, I expect someone to award me some sort of prize. Putting in a cd and pressing play? That's expecting too much.

Anonymous said...

Some great albums to fall asleep to(all should be played at low volume):

-Rubber Soul by The Beatles

-The Unforgettable Fire by U2 (except you have to skip "Wire" and "Indian Summer Sky")
-Ladies of the Canyon by Joni Mitchell (my current favorite)

-Some softer Bob Dylan also works well--Blood on the Tracks and Another Side of Bob Dylan. "Mr. Tambourine Man" was practically written to fall asleep to but, unfortunately, it is on the same album as "Maggie's Farm". . . but no one cares about that except maybe Melyngoch and that older guy--Vaughn, I think--who used to come to The Project and play his guitar. . .

Sweet dreams.