Reading Days

I know that I have been a bad blogger lately. The thing is, I'm taking two English lit courses and all of my homework basically consists of reading novels. So every day, I'm doing all my homework away from the computer. I wish that I had access to an outdoor pool. I'm not at all a pool person, but when I get out of class at 2:00 every afternoon, and I walk home in the sweltering heat, and I realize that the only thing I'll be doing for the next several hours is reading novels, I kindof like the idea of sitting by a pool. Well, ideally, a lake. Ideally, I could take all my homework to my old cottage in Canada and do it there. And ideally, there would be no black flies, horse flies, deer flies, mosquitoes, or sand flies. And as long as I'm living in a fantasy world, ideally, I would weigh 130 lbs.

Books I've Read in the Last Three Weeks:

The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
Jazz (Toni Morrison)
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
All the Pretty Horses (Cormac McCarthy)
The Last Report of the Miracles at Little No Horse (Louise Erdrich)

While I read the next several novels, I'll try and think of some good stories from my past that I can tell. Family members and friends I've known for a long time could always help me out by submitting special requests.

8 comments:

Desmama said...

Yes, I was going to ask about All the Pretty Horses too. The movie was pretty good (I thought).

Cicada said...

All the Pretty Horses was good, but not my favorite of the books so far. I got a C- on the paper I wrote about it, so obviously I didn't think about it deeply enough...

Natalie Gordon said...

I would LOVE you to do a regular book review feature - you don't have to get in depth - just let us know if it's worth reading. I am always looking for a good suggestion. I just finished The Shakeress, a DaltonGirl suggestion (worth a read). Maybe you could rate each book on a scale of one to one hundred. Like Rate-A-Record on Bandstand. "It had a great beat I could dance to. I gave it an 83, Dick." Nice, huh?

BTW - it was fun to meet you. I think you're adorable (way cuter that a real cicada - because EEEWWW - I guess that's not too hard. You're way WAY cuter than a real cicada).

daltongirl said...

I like Louise Erdrich. I also like her husband. Together, however, they lack the ability to write a good novel. So don't bother.

I will try to come up with some special requests for you. Like maybe you could tell about that one time.

Mary said...

Cicada, you should blog about the time when you and I went to the laundromat and I forgot to bring my ipod so you asked this hot boy if you could borrow his, and then he said something totally rude, and you slammed his pretty-boy face into one of those top-loading washing machines, while we made like a leaf laughing all the way to the McDonalds for an Oreo Mcflurry.

Oh no wait...we've never met. Sorry.

FoxyJ said...

I really liked both The English Patient and All the Pretty Horses, although I've never seen the movies for either. I read McCarthy's other two books for the series, but I didn't think either was as good as that one. And The English Patient has a pretty cool ending.

chosha said...

Was The English Patient any better as a book. I simply regard the movie as 17 hours of my life that I want back. (Yeah I know, but it felt like 17.)

Cicada said...

The English Patient is my favorite book, though not many people from my class agree with me. When I talked about Ondaatje's sexy prose, though, I saw one guy nodding his head. He knows what I'm talking about. Another girl said that maybe I wouldn't think his prose so sexy after I saw his picture. I thought that was the most ridiculous thing to say. What does his picture have to do with his prose? Nothing. That's what.

I also loved the movie. Maybe that means that you wouldn't like the book.