Interaction!

Today marks a milestone in Gulliver's development. Gulliver is learning to play with others!

It first happened when I was feeding him. A lot of the time when I'm breastfeeding, Gulliver will flail his arms and hit me in the head. I, in turn, try to get his fingers in my mouth and then I bite them and he laughs. This has been going on for a while, but today, when I nibbled on his fingers, he laughed and then pulled his hand away. Then, he put his hand back in my mouth so that I could nibble again. Then he'd laugh and pull his hand out again. Good times!

You'd think that big step would be enough for one evening, but later I put his pajamas on, and we were sitting on the floor together. Gulliver loves to scream when he's happy. So he would scream, hold his arms out to the sides, and then slap the ground. So I did the same, and slapped my hands down on his. To my surprise, he repeated! And this went on and on to our mutual amusement. Murray even joined the game a little bit later. I tried to get some shots of it, but the iPhone is so slow, so all you really get is a blur that shows there was motion going on. Anyway. I was just thinking earlier today how much I love being this boy's mother, but he just made it even better.




In unrelated news, today was cast-off day. Hooray! Now both my feet are done and they both just have to continue healing, but I'm done with surgeries (hopefully) forever! In case you're sick and disgusting and want to see what both my feet looked like when the casts were removed, you may click on this teeny thumbnail. But you probably don't want to. Don't say I didn't warn you.

5 comments:

AmandaStretch said...

What a darling boy! As for cast-off day, I had my casts for two months each, so I know what relief that freedom is. Congrats!

Sarah said...

What a cute boy! I totally wanted to see what your feet looked like. I am thinking about having the same surgery. Have to see if I can take the time off work. Was it hard to take care of your baby with two bum feet?

Cicada said...

Sarah,

As a nurse, it's not like the feet would gross you out too much anyway. Keep in mind that these pictures were taken five months apart from each other. So it's not like I had two bum feet at the same time. And honestly, it hasn't been that hard. Especially if you don't have stairs in your apartment, you should be just fine! If I could make a big recommendation, it would be to get a detachable shower head. For the first surgery, I bathed in our tub that faces east so that I could hang my foot over the left side. That's our guest tub and doesn't have a removable shower head. So I had to take baths every day (or every few days...) and it was annoying. This time, I could use our master bath, which has a detachable shower head, and instead of taking a bath, I could just shower sitting down. So there's some advice. Call me and I'm sure I can give you a lot more advice!

Nemesis said...

I think it was the black thread that put me over the edge . . . Ulp . . .

Jillian said...

Your poor feet!!! Glad the cast is off, though!